Author Topic: Can u have 2 many Anti-Virus?  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Can u have 2 many Anti-Virus?
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »
Gots a maybe small problem....  Bought a new PC last year.  It came with a
Anti-Virus called Webroot.  Guess have been satisfied.  Well I forgot I had a
on-going renewal thing with Norton.  Yep they done took the bucks out of the
ole checking account and sent me a Thank You email.  Money wise there isn't
any problem.  What happens with having Both? 

Thanks for all of your input on this subject....................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
Re: Can u have 2 many Anti-Virus?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:46 pm »
Hi Danny:
I'm no expert but I don't think having 2 AV programs is necessary
If you're computer suddenly slows down or runs a bit sluggish this is the first
place I would look
If your happy with Norton then I would delete or at best not use the other program
One thing for sure - do not run both programs at the same time -
Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you but in the meantime
Google your question and check out the answers
Good Luck
Fab4
Paul (Fab4)

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:40 pm »
Danny  I run Webroot and it is my understanding that it IS  Yes IS compatible with Norton or other AV programs.  I got this information from the Geek Squad at Best Buy when I purchased my new computer about two months ago.  My "free trial"  of Norton runs out in 9 days.  I do not plan to renew.  Webroot costs something and like Norton it is good for up to 3 computers. Not sure of the cost but so far I like it  and it works great.  You can probably call or go to where you purchased the computer and much better info that I have.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Shogun

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:54:40 am »
Danny, You should be ok but keep in mind not all programs run well together and it is possible to have a program conflict by running them both.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:03:17 am »
Thanks to ALL....Billy we bought our PC at BEST BUY also.  Got the free Webroot for the 3 months.  It ran out and we just bought the years renewal online. 

Now the Norton I am starting to wonder about the history of it being on this PC. 
Isn't it supposed to be in the PROGRAM area?  Even in Control Panel in the
uninstall area it is not there either.  Looks to me like IT IS NOT INSTALLED.

Received a email from Norton saying the auto-debit from our checking account
was charged their renewal charge.  Gotta do some investigating on this.  Danny :+}

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:17 pm »
I could not remember how on the Webroot  trial was. I am sure I will get a notice when it is time to pay up!  guess I have about a month left.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:23:01 pm »
I would have only one, however there are many controversies over this. He is an article you might want to read.  8)http://www.pcworld.com/article/225240/too_many_AV.html
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 05:37:41 pm »
That article makes the very accurate and valid statement that 2 always on A/V programs can and oftten do cause conflicts and create problems & slowdowns.
I fully agree with every syllable in that article!

~~~GB~~~

Running AVG (free) and Comodo Firewall
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:10:26 pm »
I don't use Norton nor will will use McAffee they are resource hogs and when they run slow your pc WAY down. I used avast for the longest time had good luck then was told another good free program to have is microsoft security essentials, its does real good always catches stuff even before the site will open it tells me if its bad and to exit or chance it and go on, its even tagged good known sites before. Well one time I updated avast and had a bad conflict, had to delete one so avast went. Some run great together other will clash like the titans and cause all sorts of problems to booting issues, running issues programs won't open. I would run just one and stick with it. I also have malware bytes too as well to run once in while to get rid of malware.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »
Hope just in conclusion post on this subject.  Like I said above bout taking the charge
from our checking account.  Well it has been 3 days since Norton sent me the email
saying the charge was taken out on Aug. 5th.  Still don't know what to make of this?

Can't find anything saying Norton is even on the PC, so guess I happy.  Thanks to
all....  Danny  :+}

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 07:07:39 pm »
Hope just in conclusion post on this subject.  Like I said above bout taking the charge
from our checking account.  Well it has been 3 days since Norton sent me the email
saying the charge was taken out on Aug. 5th.  Still don't know what to make of this?

Can't find anything saying Norton is even on the PC, so guess I happy.  Thanks to
all....  Danny  :+}

You can only have one anti-virus software running on your computer all they well is fight one another and end up crashing your computer. 

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:55:42 am »
Danny I would guess that you had norton on your old computer with the auto renewal in place.  If you have never installed Norton on your new computer it is not going to magically appear there just because they charged you for the renewal.  I would contact Norton and tell them to refund your money as you have a new computer and are no longer using their service.  If they will not refund contact your bank and have them refund the payment tell them it was an unauthorized withdrawal. 
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »
I do not claim to be a pro, but I have been at this since the Commodore 64 and a lot of people use me as their reference.  That being said, 2 antivirus programs is to much, and they may compete with each other.  Personally, if you are on Windows 8, I would cancel and remove both of them and install the free version of Microsoft Windows Defender.  It works great.  Updates regularly, and is totally free.  For my taste most commercial anti virus software is far too intrusive and takes up too many resources.

Free advise is always worth at least what you paid for it!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 10:16:20 am »
I Thank You to ALL....Dunk the way you said it was Right On.  Did have the auto renewal, but have
contacted NORTON and the DID refund the Money (pretty fast) All worked out well and now
I ONLY HAVE....ONE....anti virus running.  Yea!                              Danny  :+}

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:31 am »
I have been using Free Avast! for several years on about 8 different computers that I deal with.   It works great, the only hang up is that once a year you have to take a moment to tell them you still want to use the Free version.

I also STRONGLY recommend to the people that I do computer work to use Malwarebytes Registered version.  It runs quietly in the back ground and works well with Avast and block a bunch of junk that tries to sneak in.  I keep a copy of SuperAntiSpyware on an emergency thumbdrive and also installed but not running all the time.  If I think I have stuck my browser into something I shouldnt have I can use it and Malwarebytes to run a sweep for adware, virus or bad cookies. 

I watch Newegg sales and try to keep a couple copies of Malwarebytes  in the cabinet.  You can get them for under 15 bucks when on sale and its a lifetime registration, so no annual mystery withdrawals from the bank  ;D  When one of the family brings me a computer to fix, I just throw a copy on it for them  ::)

I keep a copy of CCleaner from Piriform.com installed and use it to clean up my browser cookies, Temp files, and registry every month or two.
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

SMF

Teknoromi