Author Topic: Pricing  (Read 3429 times)

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
Pricing
« on: February 12, 2015, 06:59:19 am »
Can discuss if want but i just don't get it. I see prices for pieces that are similar and one guy charges $25 and another charges $60 and they both sell.

pddesertrat

Re: Pricing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 08:13:11 am »
Are they selling in the same locations.  Different locations bring in different prices. 

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:25 am »
its all online stuff.

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:22 am »
I looked at stuff on Esty and noticed great variances in prices for like items.  I've always thought the higher prices were more correctly priced, but I have know idea if they sell at that price.  You know, you can ask whatever you want, doesn't mean you will get it.  But for the time spent and the work involved, I would want $80 up to $150 for scrolled pictures.  I could "want" all I want, doesn't mean I would get it.  That is why I have not tried to sell anything. 

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 01:57:25 pm »
Sometimes the buyers amaze me, they won't buy it for 15 but put the price up to 25 and they will go for it.an example. ? A friend of mine had an jtem on the table for 10 dollars each and they were not selling.He put a sign saying 10 each or two for twenty and he sold six..go figure.....Another story, fella put old fridge at end of drive with a sign, working free for taking.nobody took it, so he put a sign on it for $50 and someone stole it.
Gordie

Graywolf

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »
You just never know What people will do.

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:03 pm »
good stories guys. I guess if they think it is worth 80 they buy but if you price low then they don't see a value? not me. no way i could afford buying a scroll portrait for more than 30. lol if that

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 11:05:33 pm »
Well I wouldn't buy one for that either, that is why I don't sell.  I mean if it takes me 25 -30 hours to cut, finish and frame a picture, not to mention the cost of materials, at $30, I'm making a $1 an hour, and that $1 an hour is not worth as much as the $1 minimum wage I was making back in high school!   It just not even worth the effort to try to sell.  More fun to give them as gifts or donate them.  I'm working now on donating some to the local hospital store.  They sell them and the money goes to something, I assume good.   

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 06:46:42 am »
i agree. That's why its called a hobby and not my job. :)

Jan-Pieter

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 08:01:10 am »
I rate my prices between what I think my items are worth and what I think I can get for them. If that's not enough relative to the time spend I stop making them.

To be able to sell your items at a certain price depends not only on the quality of your item but also on your SEO (search engine optimalisation), picture quality and description.

Last week I bought a DSLR + tripod + lights to work on my picture quality. Hopefully that will increase my sales and allow me to raise some of my prices.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 08:32:13 am »
Location, location, location.  Back when I had to sell my pieces, I did the craft shows, but I had pieces on consignment in book stores, gift shops and a gallery.  The exact same piece I sold at the craft show for $15.00 went for $35.00 in the book store or  gift shop and $70.00 in the gallery.  It is amazing to me to see how different locations draw a different client base.  When called upon for a custom order, I always asked where they heard about me and priced my work accordingly.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
We live in NW Kansas, & it always gets me at the comments & attitudes we get at craft shows we enter. My wife does magnetic beaded jewelry, beaded banners, felt banners, etc. I am a Scroll Sawyer, & have dream catchers, picture frames, toy boxes, things like that. We very seldom get our asking prices at the shows, but, the ticklish part is when them folks that had bad things to say at our craft booth, conveniently show up at our shop & want a custom made project out of high dollar wood. They don't bat an eye at $12.00/hr scroll saw time, & $25/hr shop time for sanding, finish work, etc. I refuse to work for free, folks! And I am a hobbyist, as you all look at it, to me, I'm a Scroll Sawyer, a woodworker, a handyman, whatever my client asks me to do, but, I have tools to maintain, rent & utilities to pay at the shop, on & on. You come to me & want a project done, it'll be professional work, & you'll get what you pay for. Bottom line is this, does the customer work at their job for free? Just because you're doing this as a hobby, doesn't mean you can't pay for your materials & time for that project. Respect yourself, your work, & your hobby. You'll find your pricing will be easier to settle. Enjoy your project. Sawdust
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:43:09 pm by sawdust703 »
Sawdust703(Brad)

agooday88

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 11:28:10 pm »
I just love the fact that when someone has a project that I made displayed in their home, it makes me feel good inside. I am happy that someone likes my work enough to display it. And when someone asks where they got it and they say my name, I am double blessed by it.

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 04:42:40 pm »
I agree with Paul. I don't sell anything either. People tell me all the time, why don't you sell some of your stuff. First of all I wouldn't know what to charge and most people won't pay what you think it might be worth so I just keep everything and give a lot as gifts. I do it as a hobby because I enjoy scrolling, not for money.
Ralph

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 05:45:33 pm »
A woman from church asked for a scoll portrait of a grand-nephew for his baptism. She wanted a cherry frame to go with it. I made the pattern, portrait, and frame - it took about 4 hours. She has a part time job - maybe at minimum wage? - so I told her the price was what she would get paid for 4 hours on her job. I expected to get $30-40, but she paid me $96 (she said it was the number of words in the prayer "Our Father"). I didn't check her count - too busy running to the bank to deposit her check just in case.

I like the work so I'm happy to get enough $$$ to cover materials an new blades once in a while.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi