Author Topic: Donated wood  (Read 1558 times)

ToverT

Donated wood
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:57 pm »
One of the visitors to my booth at the craft fair examined almost every single Item I had on my tables.  He didn't say a word and just looked at them, picked up another item examined  it and set it back down again.  I thought surely he was an old wood worker who was going to tell me stories about things he made in the old days.

After a very long time I noticed he left.  (I was busy taking peoples money who were buying and didn't get a chance to go speak with him)  :) 

About an hour later I noticed this man walking toward my booth again and he was carrying a large box.  I though he might have bought some items from one of the many vendors at the street faire.  He introduced his self and told me that he was an old retired cabinet maker and asked my how long I have been making these piece of woodworking art.  I told him about 6 or 7 months.  He just shook his head and told me how much he enjoyed looking at my pieces.

Then he gave me the box he was carrying.  He said that he had these pieces of wood from years ago when he was a cabinet maker and wanted me to have them knowing that they would be used to make something beautiful.  OMG....The BIG Box was full of exoctic woods, Snakewood, Ebony, Marblewood, Cocobollo, Mahogany, ....beautiful stuff!  I couldn't belive it!  Most of the wood is very thick 1 to 1 1/2" and very very hard.  I don't think I can resaw it with my little craftman bandsaw.  I might try taking it to a lumber yard and see if they can resaw it for me.  The pieces range from 3" to 8" wide and 10" to 20" long.

I offered to give him some money for them but he wouldn't hear of it!  He just wanted me to use them to make something nice.  You can be sure that I will and he will be the first one to receive it!

That made my day!!!  It was a GREAT day!

Tommy T

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Donated wood
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:58 pm »
cool yhats great Tommy

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:37 am »
I wonder how long he's been hauling that box in his trunk, looking for a good home. You probably made his wife a happy camper.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:10:26 am »
Wow Tommy, what a huge compliment! Too bad you didn't get his information so you could send him something special that you made with some of his wood.
Dan In Southern California

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 01:09:13 am »
That is a very generous man.  Well done Tommy.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:56:28 am »
Sounds to me like you inspired him and he wanted to recognize that.  Great comment on your work!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

cameronj

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:48:04 am »

wow, what a great surprise. 

rob roy

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »
Compliments like that don't come very often Tommy, but you will remember that old craftsman's compliments for a long, long time. Good for you Tommy.
Rob Roy.

Graywolf

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »
That is outstanding, Tommy. It's great you are going to make him something. Sometimes there are things worth more than money.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 09:16:16 pm »
GOOD JOB!  Awhile back a friend gave me a beautiful cherry board.  I made a real nice cross for her.  She was delighted. 
MOONIE

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
Wow!  How wonderful is that.  I bet that gentlemen was as happy as you were to see his wood go to a good home.  Congrats!  Share some pictures??
ChelCass

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:31:18 am »
Way to go Tommy, nice compliments and a box of free wood - you don't get that every day.  It's nice to hear you are going to make him something, that will be appreciated much more than cash for the wood.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:48:50 am »
what a great story! made my heart feel warm.
really nice!! good luck with the re sawing.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi