Author Topic: dip coating with shellac - the easy finish  (Read 5772 times)

tux_linux

dip coating with shellac - the easy finish
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:37:17 pm »
Hey out there!

I have discovered a new technique to get the finish done for some of my projects.
Well, the technique of dip coating is not new, but it was the first time I tried it on scroll saw projects.

So i bought myself a big sealing box (this one is from IKEA) and mixed some shellac into it.

Now I
- oil my stuff in one box (mineral oil)
- let it dry a couple of hours
- dip it into the shellac and let it dry again
- soft sanding (steel wool #02)
- another shellac bath and drying.
- after some polish with steel wool #00 the finish is done.

Fast and easy with the best result one can get. The shellac is even and perfectly applied

Some of you know might wonder what shellac is.
Well, it's a resin secreted by the female lac bug. It is known as a natural coating, non allergic, great to be used for finishing toys and not poisoning at all. Wikipedia provides all the technical details for shellac

You can get it as fluid or as dry flakes (on the pic is a German brand's shellac). (For Americans it is of course also available in spray cans ;D )

The good part is: Shellac can easily be mixed, thinned and used.
The thinner for shellac is Isopropanol alcohol (the 99.9% version, on the picture left). You get it at the pharmacy. The shellac dissolves in the alcohol within 24h. Then it's ready to use. It can be extended, you can add new shellac and add thinner if you want a thinner mixture. Pretty simple.

I suggest to buy disposable glove when you're in the pharmacy. Otherwise the boys will make fun because of your lacquered finger tips.
And yes, your wife wants a small bottle from it  ::)

Working with thinner means that one has to open a window for the best ventilation. Isopropanol dissolves quick.
I assume you're smart and do not smoke while using thinner.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
Re: dip coating with shellac - the easy finish
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »
Hi Torsten,

That's an interesting process.  I use shellac often, but I typically spray it.  I've never considered it for dipping.  I may have to give that a try.

I do have one question regarding your use of isopropanol alcohol as the solvent for shellac.  In the States, the isopropanol alcohol (or isopropyl, sometimes referred to as rubbing alcohol) that is commonly available at the pharmacy has too much water in it to use with shellac.  Denatured alcohol is the recommended solvent here.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:53:45 am »
I can get 2 versions of the Isopropanol alcohol here, one is the 99.9% (sometimes called the 100% version) and one is the 70% version.
The 70% version is also known as rubbing alcohol here, yes.

You should be able to get also the 99.9% mix at the pharmacy, just ask for it as it is not such a common thing.

Ethyl alcohol also works? I have thought about that as it is cheaper. But I was not sure about it, cause of the 10% methyl in it.

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »
figured out yesterday that it is pretty simple to avoid to much shellac in the corners by wiping it with silicon gloves on. Pretty cool, results are getting better every time and are close to perfect.

kardar2

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:50:56 pm »
Hello,
Is there a ratio you go by when mixing the alcohol? or do it even matter

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:30:15 am »
I have never used shellac but it sounds like a good idea.  I like to keep my mineral oil in a pan, covered, so I can dip quickly and easily.  Could shellac be kept in a covered pan for weeks between dipping, or would the solvent evaporate?

It is difficult to spray into the smaller nooks and crannies so dipping the final finish would be easier, and the compressed air could be used to clear excess finish from the small spaces .

I think I know the answer but I've been wrong before.   ;D

Thanks,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

SMF

Teknoromi