Author Topic: Making dowels  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Making dowels
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:55 am »
Good day.

As a new member here, I am still trying to learn the board as well as the craft.  

I would like to manufacture some dowels as the store bought stuff just isn't cutting it.

I am initally interested in making dowel stock from walnut and ash, but so far have not come up with a decent method.

Looking for any ideas on this subject.  Let's see, router, table saw, jointer, scroll saw, radial arm saw, miter saw, various sanders, lots of hand tools, all available to me.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Making dowels
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:55:24 am »
the best way to make your own dowels would be with a wood lathe. i have seen somewhere a tool for making the fluted and smooth dowels about 2" long used in a lot of furniture making. you might try here. http://www.leevalleytools.com/

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:14:09 am »
Here is what I use when I need small dowels: http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=DP
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:37:19 am »
I have made hardwood dowels on the router table in larger sizes. For a 1/2" dowel, cut stock to 1/2" square and a few inches longer than desired. Use a 1/4" round over bit and the fence on the table pass the stock over the bit leaving a square of at least 1-1/2" on each end of the stock. Run the stock through the router on each corner and then cut off the ends with a saw. It probably wont come out perfectly round but, with a bit of sanding it is not hard to get there. (Face it, you will have to sand it anyway  ;D)
I also have used my drill press for smaller sizes but, it takes a lot more time and patients to get it straight.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

rob roy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:41:24 pm »
Hi Spectral, as Dan says use a dowel plate. Simple and quick,(just like me Dan)lol
Rob Roy.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:58:01 pm »
I have made hardwood dowels on the router table in larger sizes. For a 1/2" dowel, cut stock to 1/2" square and a few inches longer than desired. Use a 1/4" round over bit and the fence on the table pass the stock over the bit leaving a square of at least 1-1/2" on each end of the stock. Run the stock through the router on each corner and then cut off the ends with a saw. It probably wont come out perfectly round but, with a bit of sanding it is not hard to get there. (Face it, you will have to sand it anyway  ;D)
I also have used my drill press for smaller sizes but, it takes a lot more time and patients to get it straight.  ;D

Rog

Rog,     Thanks for the input on this one.  I recently tried the same relative approach, except I used 1/4 inch sqaure wood and a 1/8 inch roundover bit.  I had no luck at all - the wood would slip under the bearing on the bit and chew the Hades out of the piece of wood.  Tried to set up the fence (router), and then could not get the wood even close to round, more like four sided with curved edges (this may very well have been my error).  I am thinking this idea would work if I could find a bit without the bearing.

Your thoughts - all of you out there......

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:54:34 am »
I'm not sure what your problem is but......
Do you have a router table? If you sit the fence on the table flush with the bearing and leave some square stock on each end of the piece for reference it is easier. Also, 1/4" is a bit small for this technique the drill press might be easier for the smaller stuff.
I really think the dowel plate the others suggested would be the best for you to try altho a bit pricey.
If you can get a small piece of steel about 1/4" - 1/2" thick and drill a hole of the size you need in it to drive the material through.
You need nice straight grain in your wood and sit the plate on a vice so you can pound the wood through the hole. It would help to have the wood close to size and as round as you can make it before hand.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

flockshot

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49:32 am »
http://woodgears.ca/dowel/making.html

I know this is not timely, but I just joined and thought someone may benefit.

The above site is run by Mathias Wandell and I am completely impressed with his work.  I encourage you to check him out on www.woodgears.ca or on YouTube.  He is a engineer by training and a woodworker at heart.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 11:14:44 pm »
Al - I like the settlers approach in barn building - use a square peg in a round hole  ;)

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »
Just ran across this, thought it was pretty cool. It's a video on using a band saw to make dowels. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/79407

PoppaRob

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »
look at this page and one of these should work for you,

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=make+dowels+on+a+router&oq=make+dowels+on+a+router&gs_l=youtube.12...5254.18004.0.21082.23.23.0.0.0.0.236.3957.3j12j8.23.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.7pZc_FQyeq4

Personally I have made lots with my router table by using a bit that is 1/2 the size of the size of dowel I want, say a 1/2" x 1/2" wood with a 1/4" bit, sometimes I have to move the bit up or down a bit to get that very round dowel, always drill your holes after you see what your dowel size is going to be for sure,

Poppa Rob

flockshot

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 07:35:20 am »
I haven't updated the video with a progress report in a while, but this has worked very well for making any dowels I have needed.  One quarter inch is the smallest I have made on it.  Plus, I have made them out of hardwood branches that picked up for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfCTKS0zQN8

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:10:17 am »
I like this setup the best, and I've seen home made cutters that do the same job and you can make it yourself for any size you want. The good part is the hand drill does all the real work!
Do some searching on the web for dowel and arrow makers there are some really clever people out there.
Gabby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZPEzsZT2g
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi