Author Topic: Saw maintanence  (Read 5806 times)

alien11

Re: Saw maintanence
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:23 am »
I don't think this is worth chasing any longer. The balloon idea has some problems that can undoubtedly be overcome but its not worth the effort. First the hole in the panel would have to be enlarged to accept the wrapped switch; second, the leads to the switch would need to be lengthened to reach through the neck of the balloon; how often would this have to be repeated to replace ripped balloons.

Thanks Gabby for the idea.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 01:44:01 pm »
Use a dry condom cut it as short as needed so you don't have to lengthen the leads. They are thin and pretty tough, although the rubber will eventually deteriorate and have to be replaced.
It was just a suggestion. I'm just one of those guys that has flashes of inspiration, but they don't all work, but you never know until you check it out.
Hope you get the problem solved.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Arasmit

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 11:34:03 pm »
I recently bought DeWalt 788. It was rarely used for last 3 years. The saw looks like new, but the blade tension seems not enough even on maximum position (5) of the strecher. Does somebody have any suggestion how can I reinforce the tension mechanism?
One more, probably silly, question -  is there some special wax for the 788's table?
Thanks in advance,
Vitali.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 12:04:39 am »
Hey Vitali, I was going to welcome you to the forum but I see you have been a member since the beginning. So welcome to your first posting.
First, clean off the oil on the ends of the blades, either with mineral spirits, or sanding with 220 grit sand paper before you mount the blade. When you mount the blade, push down on the top blade clamp before you tightening the last clamp. This will take out any slack in the blade. Then set you tension. If you still don't have enough tension on the blade do this: Remove the tension, push down on the upper blade clamp. If there is a bow in the blade, release the upper blade clamp while pushing down. The bow will disappear, then tighten the clamp. this should give you the tension you need.
As far as wax, you can use Johnson's paste wax or any past wax that does not contain silicone as it can interfere with finishes.
Dan In Southern California

Arasmit

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 12:11:20 am »
Thank you dgman for welcoming and for tips regarding tension. I'll try it according your description as soon as I touch the saw.

:) Yes, the previous post is my first one. I've learned English for last year and a half. So, now I feel more confident to communicate.
Thanks once again,
Vitali.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 04:28:28 am »
Your english is as good or better than a large population in the USA. You should have no problems communicating.

Welcome aboard.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Arasmit

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 11:47:59 pm »
Thank you guys! I really like the warm, friendly atmosphere on this web-forum.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »
rofe2004 -- DeWalt Tension Adjustment, Go To

http://scrollsaws.com/

on the left side read ''DeWalt Tune Up''
MOONIE

SMF

Teknoromi