Author Topic: Saw maintanence  (Read 5807 times)

alien11

Saw maintanence
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:48:20 am »
The Dewalt 788  manual does not have anything to say about routine maintanence. But with all the moving parts and joints it seems to me that some cleaning and lubrication would be prudent. What do other 788 owners do/recommend? What kind of lube do you use?

Thanks,

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Saw maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »
Hey alien, The Dewalt 788 requires no maintenance. All the bearings are sealed and lubed for life. I have only heard of one bearing that has failed.
My regular maintenance is keeping the table waxed, and brushing the area around the switch to keep it running smooth. The switch is problematic because sawdust tends to get into it and causes it to stop working. Compressed air usually takes care of that.
If the motor stops working, the brushes will have to be replaced, but in all the years I have had DeWalt saw I have never had to do it!
Dan In Southern California

alien11

Re: Saw maintanence
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:08 pm »
Thanks dgman. Now that's what I call good news!

A little wax on the table which is the same treatment several other machines already get. I'm using a foot switch on the 788, so it's switch becomes a non-issue.

I guess it should outlive me, except as I tell my kids, "I'm planning on not going!"

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:20 am »
Alien, using the foot switch is a good idea.  However, and you may already know this, you should put tape over the regular on-off switch to keep the dust out.  After you put it in the "ON" position, that is...lol. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:58:15 am »
I use the foot switch but if I'm going to change the blade or anything that might put a finger or such in a hazardous situation, I turn of the saw switch too just as a precaution.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

alien11

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:17:09 am »
Crabbyboater:
I was thinking about forgoing the taping of the switch because I don't like the adhesive residue from the tape. I guess I'll rethink that; thanks.

Gabby:
That's good advise - I like safe.
I'm planning on using a footswitch that is on only as long I as have my foot pressing on it, rather than the step for on, step again for off. I've been using the same switch for my router table and find that I can remove power quicker just by lifting my foot. Comments?

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:11:10 am »
I use the foot switch but if I'm going to change the blade or anything that might put a finger or such in a hazardous situation, I turn of the saw switch too just as a precaution.
Gabby

Gabby, you must be "Clumsy" too!!!
 Don't you know where your feet are? I have cut my finger only once in the 10 years that I've been scrolling and that was because I was cutting a VERY small part and using the switch before I got my foot "dead man" switch.
As far as the tape residue, if you use the blue "painters tape",it won't leave any traces of glue but, will still keep the sawdust out of the switch.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Saw maintenance
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »
Crabbyboater:
I was thinking about forgoing the taping of the switch because I don't like the adhesive residue from the tape. I guess I'll rethink that; thanks.

Gabby:
That's good advise - I like safe.
I'm planning on using a foot switch that is on only as long I as have my foot pressing on it, rather than the step for on, step again for off. I've been using the same switch for my router table and find that I can remove power quicker just by lifting my foot. Comments?

That is what I have too. I have visions of putting my foot on it when I shouldn't, I can't imagine why.  ::) ::) That's why I use the off on switch, I suppose if you want to dust proof it then just unplug the thing.
BTW I usually stay clear of Harbor Freight, but that's where I got mine. Just 10 bucks and so far it works fine. My carport has a gravel floor and occasionally some gets inside, and it won't work. All I have to do is turn it up on end and tap it on the ground to get the junk out, problem solved.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:00:08 am »
I had a thought. (Naw, it didn't hurt much)
 As far as covering the switch but still being able to use it try Seran (sp) Wrap! I would cut a small piece, say 10" x 10". and clean the saw around the switch with a damp cloth and lay the clear wrap over the switch area loosely and press it down around the sides. It would keep saw dust out and yet let you see the switch and even use it for what it was intended to do.
If someone tries this idea, please post and let me know how it works. I have mine coverered with clear packing tape so I can see it but I cant use it.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:55 pm »
Roger as I get older my balance isn't as good as it once was possibly due to inner ear damage from loud sounds, so I've learned to take preventive steps, like staying off tall ladders, no tight rope walking LOL just in case my 2 left feet get tangled.
Just call me grace.  ;D
Better safe than bleeding!
Gabby

MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

alien11

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:46 am »
Hey Gabby: I like your "better safe than bleeding" line. This activity we all share is supposed to be fun. My thought is: the fun is over when the blood hits the table. Let's keep the fun!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:03:09 pm »
Blood on the table stains the wood, you're right lets keep it off.

I had one of those painful thoughts......

I'm guessing the switch is one of those rocker type, if you could figure a way you could perhaps use contact cement and glue a piece of inner tube from one of those thin racing bicycle tires, it's soft and thin enough I would think. Just make it loose enough to press the switch on or off.
Get your gears turning in that old think tank!
Whatcha think?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

alien11

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:59:08 pm »
Blood on the table stains the wood, you're right lets keep it off.

Is THAT what is meant by "bloodwood"?

I had one of those painful thoughts......

I'm guessing the switch is one of those rocker type, if you could figure a way you could perhaps use contact cement and glue a piece of inner tube from one of those thin racing bicycle tires, it's soft and thin enough I would think. Just make it loose enough to press the switch on or off.
Get your gears turning in that old think tank!
Whatcha think?

That's an interesting suggestion - I have some regular bicycle innertube, I'll try that.

All the dust barrier ideas so far have dealt with blocking dust from entering the black housing in which the switch is mounted. I investigated whether the barrier could be located at the switch body itself. I concluded, by disassembling all the way to the switch contacts, that the only solution would be to replace the switch with one that is dust-proof rated. The search has begun, I'll post any useful info I turn up.

Gabby

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:43 pm »
Aw heck if you're going to all that trouble get a package of kids toy balloons large size if necessary cut off the part you blow into far enough to put the switch inside
(you figure out how to route the wires) close it off with some tape or a twist tie. Use 2 baloons if you want it heavier.
I was going to suggest condoms but I didn't, did I? Use non lubricated ones. LOL

Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

alien11

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 08:11:39 am »
It may just come down to the balloon.

The switch is an Eaton model 8951K296. When I talked with Eaton support, I was told that any model no. in the 8900 series is an OEM specific part and he can't even look it up. As far as availability of dust-proof switches he informed me that the only series Eaton offers is for auto use, therefore, 12VDC rated. No help there.

This coming weekend is my grand-daughter's birthday so I have a good reason to buy balloons. Thanks for the idea.

SMF

Teknoromi