Author Topic: Band Saw Blades  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Band Saw Blades
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:41:11 am »
I gather from some comments that many folks use a band saw to prepare some of their wood for scrolling, and since I at least try to do some work other than the scroll saw (I tend to go back to scrolling frequently), I finally broke down and purchased a new toy (read "band saw").

Question for you folks - what blade size and teeth-per-inch (TPI) do you suggest for use in resawing?  Looking at resawing walnut, cherry, maple and pine (others thrown in when chance allows).

I would also appreciate words on blades in general for the band saw.

Thanks and have a decent day.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Band Saw Blades
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:56:17 pm »
I use either a 3 or 4 TPI blade for resawing.  I also use the widest blade I can.  What saw do you have?
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:01:02 pm »
I acquired the Craftsman 14".  They had a good sale, and I was limited on available funds.  Will give them a shot at glory. 

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:37:52 am »
Google Bandsaw Tuneup and you will find a wealth of information.  It is improtant to have your saw set up correctly. Just as in scrolling the saw setup is very improtant.  Tension, guide adjustment and squareness ( is that  word) will contribute to a better finished product.  I would bet your saw is not "project ready"
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:45 pm »
Search Youtube for videos by Alex Snodgrass for bandsaw setup.  He has toured on behalf of Carter bandsaw products for years and will tell you how to setup any bandsaw with zero drift, etc.  Yes, he represents Carter and they sell accessories, but his information is invaluable with or without purchasing any products.  I met him and his Dad at the woodworking show and have been back subsequent years to review and ask more questions.  No doubt he has forgotten more than I'll ever know about bandsaws.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi