Author Topic: Rounding the back corners of the blade  (Read 2574 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Rounding the back corners of the blade
« on: September 01, 2012, 02:42:12 pm »
I pulled this trick out of mothballs. I am cutting a bunch of Steve's mini alarm clocks for the craft show season coming up: http://www.stevedgood.com/minialarmclock.pdf They require 3/4" thick wood to allow the clock to stand upright with the insert installed. There are some tight radius cuts for a #5 blade especially in hard woods like Red Oak, Maple, Walnut and Purpleheart. To keep from burning I am using clear packing tape on both sides of the blank, but still burning around the small ball on top of the bells of the clock. I decided to round off the back corners of the blade with a file designed for band saw blades: http://ptreeusa.com/band_saw_acc.htm#1746.
This stopped the burning and the blade lasted a lot longer too!
You can use sand paper wrapped around a hardwood block or a fine file.
Dan In Southern California

bzeyher

Re: Rounding the back corners of the blade
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »
Thank you Dan for this idea.
I am working on a piece made out of bloodwood and am finding out what "burning" means.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »
Yup, Bloodwood will burn! Use tape on both sides of the wood. If you can, use a bigger size blade and round off the back corners of the blade.
I like to use the clear packing tape rather than the blue painters tape. I don't like having to remove the small pieces of tape around delicate cuts. So I go ahead and apply a blank sheet of paper on the back side, then apply the clear packing tape over that. After you are done cutting, use a heat gun or hair dryer on the tape and pattern, and the pattern or paper will lift right off!

bzeyher

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:51:50 pm »
I applied the pattern then drilled all the holes. After I sanded the drill holes down I applied the packingtape on both sides. Then I punched the holes again. That worked fine so far.
The rounding of the blade was new to me and I will try that too.

I am having so much fun....

PoppaRob

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »
Just a quick question, lol,

packing tape, can I get a brand or number or something to help me pick it out, duct tape for sure is a no-no, right

is it the clear with strings in it or something ups uses and it breaks anyway buy the time it gets to my house, lol

Poppa Rob, thanks for the help,

bzeyher

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:17:55 pm »
Poppa Rob,

I am using the clear type "Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping tape".
Using it on bottom and top works fine for me. However, blade and speed have also a major effect for me.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:14:11 pm »
Just the clear packing tape. Not the reinforced type. You can get it at Staples, Office Depot, Home Depot or any office or home improvement store. Lets see if I can find something for you.
Here you go. Like I said you can get just about anywhere:  http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesSearch?searchkey=clear+packing+tape&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&fromUrl=home

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »
I use the clear packing tape almost exclusively and I get it at  the Dollar Tree. Second choice is Family Dollar or Dollar General.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

PoppaRob

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:29:34 pm »
Thanks Gents,

I'll get the clear packing tape with out strings and extra glue, lol,

Poppa Rob

SMF

Teknoromi