Author Topic: Rustic Finish  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Rustic Finish
« on: February 11, 2013, 10:39:00 am »
Over the past couple of weeks I tried out the steelwool-vinegar mix on some projects.  I did test on a scraps before doing the actual piece.  the first is a frame for a customer. The wood is white pine. Color came out to a  golden brown. the second is a design I modified from smitty312.  I had to remove the dates in the middle because I broke off one of the numbers while handling ( an Oh crap moment). the mixture was brushed onto the frame with a foam brush, the heart plaque was actually dipped.  The wood was also white pine. The color of the plaque is actually darker that it looks in the picture and the grain shows nicely. Darn near the color of walnut. The other picture is an non stained piece  (once again a modification of Smitty312 design) in white pine.  Even though the wood is the same, the colors came out different. Each test piece reflected the color accurately. The mixture is  -well the only way to say it - it stinks, stinks, stinks.  It took 3 or 4 days for he smell to be out of the wood. The frame then got 3 coats of gloss lacquer. The customer loved the color, so all was well.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

countryscroller

Re: Rustic Finish
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:20 am »
Those look great Billy!

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:55 pm »
nice work thanks for sharing

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »
Hey Billy, you done some nice cutting there, it's amazing the amount of different shades and colours you can get out of that type of finish. and I agree with you 100% - It absolutely stinks. but once it's fully dried there is hardly a smell at all, then when your finish is applied there is no smell
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Becky

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:14:29 pm »
Thanks for sharing the pictures.  I've been following the thread and hoping some folks would post their results.

Three days to get the smell out of the wood, huh?  How long to get it out of your shop?

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:38 pm »
Becky -  The frame was done outside so no problem.  The small piece, I put it in a metal baking pan and poured the mix over it, fliped it over and took it out. Drained for a half minute and then outside. Cardboard on the bench caught the drips and it too went out. Both pieces were dry in a couple hours ( caught one of those nice days we had) and the odor in the shop was negligible. Just took a few days for the smell to go away.  For all yo sinus sufferers, this stuff will clear them right up  downside you will wish it didn't!!!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Becky

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:04:44 pm »
Maybe I should wait for the spring allergy season.  It sounds like this could save me a fortune in tissues and Benedryl!    ;D

SMF

Teknoromi