Author Topic: A pattern from Charlie D  (Read 902 times)

boxmaker

A pattern from Charlie D
« on: August 14, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »
This is my first Fretwork project ( I think it is called Fretwork) it is not finished yet, I just finished cutting it tonight and wanted to know what you thought. I am going to make a box out of it for a lady. Her German Shepherd died and she wants to put his ashes in it. Also any suggestions as to what to use for a backer. I was going to paint a lid keeper flat black and glue it on. I laid it on a piece of felt for the pic.

Thanks for looking Mark.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: A pattern from Charlie D
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:05:38 pm »
Hey Mark, That is an excellent rendition. You did a great job on your portrait. Charlie does make great patterns! As for a backer, What is the box going to be made from? I personally like a wood backer, So if the box will be darker than the portrait, I wouldn't use a backer. Just my opinion.
Please post a picture when it's done!
Dan In Southern California

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:32:08 pm »
Great job.
David

Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:47:00 pm »
Really nice. Looks like you have been doing this for a long time.

Dan

sp_343

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:15:22 am »
I really like it!  Is this piece with the cut-out going to be one of the sides or lid of the box or will it be placed over the box when it is finished?  If it will be a side or lid, then a dark colored wood or a piece stained dark would look really nice as a backer.  If it is going to be placed after the box is completed, then I would make it contrast in some way.  Either darken then box or darken the Shepard.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:54:32 am »
Awesome job, I like it. Thanks for posting your work.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

boxmaker

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:39 pm »
The cutout will be the lid and it will have a lid keeper glued on the bottom of it to keep the lid on the box. The lid and the box are made out of Cherry. I think I am going to paint one side of the lid keeper black and glue it under the box lid. I will post a pick when completed. I glued the box sides together today, that's all I had time to get done today.

Thanks Mark

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:19:08 am »
Nice one Mark, I like the pattern
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi