Author Topic: This is what has kept me busy since the New Year  (Read 3254 times)

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
This is what has kept me busy since the New Year
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »
These are what have been occupying most of my free time.

Elephant Bank was a commission piece for a shower gift for a friend of my sister.  The bank is 10 ? inches from trunk to tail, 7 inches tall and 3 ? inches wide.  Painted in gray acrylic and top coated with semi gloss lacquer.

Whale Bank was a commission for a baptismal gift. The bank is 10 ? inches from trunk to tail, 7 inches tall and 3 ? inches wide.  Painted in gray acrylic and top coated with semi gloss lacquer.

Artic Fox bank was a regular order.  The bank is 12 ? inches from trunk to tail, 11 inches tall and 3 ? inches wide.  Painted in white and black water based acrylic paint and top coated with semi gloss lacquer.

Red Fox Bank  The bank is 12 ? inches from trunk to tail, 11 inches tall and 3 ? inches wide.  Painted in red-orange, white and black water based acrylic paint and top coated with semi gloss lacquer.

Snail Bank ? 6 of these 10 inches from nose to tail and 7 ? tall and 3 ? thick.  Sealed with tung oil and top coated with shellac.

Tribute banks ? 14 in total 6 pandas, 6 squirrels and 2 Whales.  The patterns were not mine, they belonged to a customer?s father who passed suddenly.  I was commissioned to complete the banks and to make the 2 whales from scratch but using his pattern.  All painting was water based acrylic and then top coated with shellac

Piggy Bank ? I have made just a few ? 34 of these since January 1 2015.  10 ? inches long x 7 ? inches tall x 3 ? inches wide.  Sealed with tung oil and top coated with shellac.

Still working on projects ... just not as much time as I would wish to be able to spend on them.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

pddesertrat

Re: This is what has kept me busy since the New Year
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:20:10 pm »
Those are really nice.  Did you design them or are there patterns available?  Got a Grandson that would love one like that elephant one.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:46 pm »
Those are really nice.  Did you design them or are there patterns available?  Got a Grandson that would love one like that elephant one.

I designed all but the tribute banks.  They are not terribly difficult to make but they are a bit labor intensive with shaping and sanding and finishing.

DW

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:21 pm »
Well done DW.  That is a lot of work involved there and a lot of painting.

Karl

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:17:47 am »
Excellent and original work, look great, thanks for sharing.

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 04:29:27 pm »
Nice work.

Rover2

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:13:58 pm »
Nice work DW.  Looks like they would be a lot of work but very rewarding in the end.  Especially when they are all full. :) :) :)

Al

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:43:16 pm »
Very nice DW....Just made a pig bank also, steves pattern. ..must look into your plug idea for next one I make..thanks
Gordie

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 07:54:42 pm »
DW You are to be Complimented on this Venture.  I have made 2 designs like yours.  Sold good at my Craft show.  Yours are
SO MUCH LARGER than I could even imagine.  ALWAYS LOVE to see your Great Talent.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 01:46:25 am »
They are all up to your usual standard DW.  Bet you wish you had never made that first bank don't you?   ;) ;)  Still it was worth it now you are laughing all the way to the bank.   ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 04:22:25 am »
They are all up to your usual standard DW.  Bet you wish you had never made that first bank don't you?   ;) ;)  Still it was worth it now you are laughing all the way to the bank.   ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Marg

Marg it does make it difficult to find time to experiment and play around with the myriad of ideas I get at times.  At least I get to control how many at a time I do.  However it is satisfying to know that folks around the globe are interested in them.  I just sent a Piggy down your way - St Lucia, Queensland.  A couple have gone to Singapore as well.  Its fun and it keeps me out of trouble hehe.

DW

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 11:50:12 am »
Nicely done DW.  Do you mind sharing what you sell them for in your neck of the woods?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi