Author Topic: Bird Pub  (Read 3175 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Bird Pub
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:37 pm »
No scrollwork here, but some might find it interesting.

This is an empty Newcastle mini-keg made into a bird house. It's a Win/Win situation - the birds get a new house and I get the best brown ale around.

The doorway is a 1.5" conduit adapter (glue to thread). The hole in the keg was cut with a sheet metal nibbler so the adapter can be screwed into the keg wall. A screw eye is forced into the valve at the top to hang it from a tree limb. The perch is a 4" long 1/4-20 hex bolt. I put some sand in the bottom to add some weight. If I get some birds, I'll post a photo.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: Bird Pub
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:42:09 pm »
Tweet - tweet.  Chirp - chirp.   Happy birdwatching.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:52:04 am »
Wonderful idea, very original, thanks for sharing.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:03:44 am »
Just curious were any holes drilled near the top to allow heat to escape or do you think that will be necessary?   Nicely done.  Interesting concept.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:11:21 am »
neat idea Ray.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:24:05 am »
Just curious were any holes drilled near the top to allow heat to escape or do you think that will be necessary?   Nicely done.  Interesting concept.

I did not add holes for heat escape. Do you think that's needed? I may add an umbrella type cover to keep the sun off.

Any thoughts on the 1/4-20 bolt? I don't know how the birds will take to it. Should that be changed to a dowel or a twig from a tree?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04:30 am »
I have made several bird houses and have done some reading on building them and I have learned......

Most birds don't like the perches at the door. It leaves a place for larger birds to sit and wait for them to come and go and wait for the hatchlings to take their first flight.  :(  :o

Venting is a must to keep the temp cooler inside. The adult birds keep the eggs warm enough and they need to breath fresh air. (in your case a few small holes around the outside of the upper edge of the keg would help alot)  ;)

Most birds do not like bright colors on their houses. This is something that people think is cute, birds not so much. And they don't care for the smell of fresh paint either.  :P

Birds do not really like new wood either. Usually it takes me about 8 months to a year before they think the "new" house is weathered and secure enough to live in.  :o ::)

I am assuming that the keg you used is aluminium and while I'm not sure how they will take to that, I do expect hat it will get quite hot in the summer sun so I might recommend central air conditioning for your house.  ;D  ::)  (Just joking) 

I do like your idea and I think it is quite cute but, I think it will be more enjoyment to you and guests than the birds.  :( :'(

Good luck with getting a new family in the neighborhood.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 01:26:49 pm »
great project, looks awesome.
I'm a bird lover myself, so have to make me one of these right ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:22 am »
LOL, looks awesome, great job!  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:37:21 am »
Rog,
You took most of the ideas right out of my keyboard.....I have learned most of those same things, in my research of building functioning bird houses.  I was unaware about the not particularly liking new wood.  I may refrain from sanding down the interior of the houses from now on pre-assembly.  Thanks for the tip.  My houses for the most part (not always) would go uninhabited for a season as well and I always wondered why...
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 12:08:38 pm »
Love the idea, thinking outside the can. I never would have thought birds might not like it for the various reasons that Rapid Roger posted, though I did think something other than a bolt might be better for a perch.

Newkie Brown was my tipple when I was in my 20's. There was a story that Newcastle General Hospital had a ward just for Newcastle Brown drinkers. Probably urban legend, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »
Love your birdhouse.  We have made birdhouses out of all kinds of funky stuff and a lot depends on the birds.  I have used old wood purses, hollowed out logs, coffee cans etc.  They all get used.  I also always try and use weathered wood as they do not like the smell of new wood or fresh paint.  My bluebirds like a perch as they can sit and watch their young.  If you have a problem with cats wrap the pole the house is sitting on or if a hanging house the bottom of the house with chicken wire.  Cats hate chicken wire and will leave the birdhouses alone.
ChelCass

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 09:44:26 pm »
I also love the idea, but I'm not sure you will get many visitors, but I bet you could sell quite a few. How big is the can/ keg?
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 02:38:21 am »
What a great idea, just need to wait and see if the birds like it too

Keith.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 03:56:43 am »
Well it unusual and it is definitely a talking point now all you have to do is wait and see if the birds like it.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi