Author Topic: Beginning of my first wooden mechanism.  (Read 7241 times)

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
Re: Beginning of my first wooden mechanism.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 09:02:54 am »
This brings back all the memories of the clock I built. Makes me want to jump into another one

cloetpatrick

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 02:25:04 am »
 :) Yesterday I did not made much progress, I finished the pendulum, which I intend to add even a fancy scalloped circle on the weight.
I also fully support finished.
 :'( I made the little clockmaker with two tips that come in a large wheel, but when making the holes to put these points, the broken piece. So I have to redo this part. :-\
 :-\ Having tried to do my lines of 6 mm in diameter, I quickly realized I had to go to my hardware store to buy round wood for this purpose. ;D

cloetpatrick

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 01:44:32 am »
 :) Here, I put all the pieces in my clock. After several tries and setting it spinning.
Of course being made as a test, I used MDF which did not last long on time, and I had to repeat the main Ferris wheel, this time in plywood.
Again, the teeth were worn very quickly and already it has gone wrong.
So I start everything but this time with the hardwood (beech). Normally this should go.
Initially it was too much weight to make it work, so I made a change in my plans and the design of the clock. I put the rope on the bottom line of course with the winding mechanism that goes with it. At the time, it takes two times less weight, you just need to turn the key upside for the clock back, but that is a detail.
I have in my store of wood, yet in lilac branch that I normally use for small turned objects. I intend to use it to support my own design.
Here the result by photo;

But the drama is not over, because now comes the serious work in the right wood. I intend to turn my wheels so great to decorate them in addition to their function, so I start from scratch ... See you later! ...

Marshall

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 09:24:30 am »
Keep us posted , for this looks like a very intense project ..........you have my vote .....

cloetpatrick

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 01:53:54 am »
 :D To start, here are the full plans in PDF as I obtained the boards.
http://sd-4.archive-host.com/membres/up/62652096914315950/PDF/Clock1.pdf
That's it go again, but this time it's serious. All parts of this clock will be made of beech, except that the frame will be oak.
The next weekend I do a demonstration in a French city not far from home. Therefore, I prepare my documents for work.
Already, a piece is finished. This wheel was shot unlike previous ones which had just been cut from the model. Teeth and inner will of course be cut to the jigsaw.
Several wheels are already prepared for next weekend, they turned and stuck on the model (my way).  ;)

Here, the timing wheel, shot in beech. The teeth are cut and interiors. It is part # 25

Here, a few other wheels, shot in beech. The teeth and interiors will be cut with a saw.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:21:51 am by cloetpatrick »

cloetpatrick

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 02:00:35 am »
 ;) I stopped a few days to construct a new lathe. This wekeend during my exit, so I worked the gears in beech. These have been previously turned on a lathe, I then pasted the drawing of each piece on each of them, then I did the cutting teeth and interiors. So my hollow pin and the anchor and other parts of my body clock has been made this wekeend. Yesterday I started to mount in the old oak. Everything was made from salvaged timber, for he is old beech drawers of a cabinet that I dismantled, the oak, it be an old fence at my beautiful oak recovered son. Of course I had to work the wood to use for my clock.
Here are all my pieces;  ;)

Zohar

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:57 am »
Looks intense.
Keep us posted.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 01:04:34 am »
 ;) Here are two amounts that are finished in oak, which I still have to brace supports the clock.

would show you the ride I made from iron found in congestion, and the engine block of my drill press. I finished the painting yesterday! ...

cloetpatrick

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 12:31:24 am »
 ;) My amount is now complete, there will be more than varnish it later. For now it is editing. In this first image shows a part (A) which will replace another (B). This profile piece was shot in the oak, I think it will add charm to my clock.

During testing for the adjustment of gears, I saw that I had to rectify all the teeth of fourth gear. Then too, one of the small gear ...

Horror ... A tooth was broken ... I was lucky to find it and be able to pick his spot.

Now neither seen nor heard! ... I almost have to redo this gear! ... ;)

northie66

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 09:37:48 am »
This is much detailed work.  Do you sell your clocks?

cloetpatrick

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 12:46:49 am »
 :D Hello Janet
This is the first of its kind that I do, and I intend to sell it one day after making others. For now, I do research and above all learning and I try to explain to friends what forums jokes that I can meet in the building, it is always instructive, both for myself as for others .

Now when referring to a clock of its kind in the united states, it is still not done, it is huge, especially the balance which is a meter long. Also during the installation of the clock on the wall, you should know you do it and know especially well balanced and adjusted. I do not know, but the charges of transportation must be considerable ...

cloetpatrick

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 01:33:58 am »
 ;) First some changes made from the original plan.
After touring parts 5 and 8 to make more beautiful than simple cubic, I placed a small threaded rod diameter 6 mm (A).

These buttons have a small thread of 6 millimeters in diameter and used to "close" the amount.

That is a lot cleaner

Here I have changed the room 31 as I thought that this piece is too fragile. It was enough to glue a thin piece (B) of beech glued on an axis in the wheel No. 35 (C)

Oops, this small error on my part, I forgot that the axis of the anchor was to receive part 21, so that I did it too short. This axis is re ...

cloetpatrick

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 12:21:08 am »
 ;D And now, it was enough to do it! ... It remains for me to make my auctions and my needles and mount them on my clock is now mechanically complete.

Then again remove all seen in the varnish, being careful not to put in places of polished sensitive mechanism in order not to block it.  ;D

And if to say, "It has a clock running !..."
Now, I stop temporarily fretwork, because it's cherry season, and have plenty of work to my collection. This should last about two weeks, then I probably would start another clock of this kind.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:33:24 am by cloetpatrick »

northie66

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
You must have the patience of a saint!

Becky

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:36 pm »
That is amazing.  Very good job!  Congratulations on your success!

SMF

Teknoromi