Author Topic: We survived!  (Read 2806 times)

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
We survived!
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:05 pm »
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers
Who smoked and/or drank while they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,
Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes..

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,
We would ride in cars with no car seats,
No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day
Was always a special treat.

We drank water
From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,
From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.
We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And, we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able
To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
And then ride them down the hill, only to find out
We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.
There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
No cell phones,
No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,
And the worms did not live in us
Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen,
We did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal
With disappointment.
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years
Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others
who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the
lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives
for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know
how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house
with scissors, doesn't it ?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: We survived!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:45 pm »
You are so right Steve! I am a child of the 50's and I remember going out all day with my bike and no helmet and not coming home until the street lights came on!
Those where the days for sure.
Now my son thinks he has it so bad! Even though he has an Ipod, Iphone, Macbook and an Xbox!
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:01:20 pm »
You nailed it Steve!  The physical bumps and bruises we dealt with as kids helped us learn to deal with the emotional bumps and bruises we have to deal with as adults!  Those who are protected as children usually can't cope as adults.  I've seen it time and time again!  Great thoughts Steve!

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:58 pm »
hmmm....I guess I'm not a survivor
Oh well, can't win them all
;)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:21:48 pm »
I even survived laying on the living room floor LISTENING to radio shows with out color pictures and surround sound on a 55" flat screen!

Life was Hell but...

WE Survived!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:09:14 am »
Steve you forgot about sitting in the rear facing seats in our parents station wagon or with the seats down just sliding around back there. Yep them were the days.

Offline scrollsaw22

• View Profile
    • Phillip's Scrolling
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:16:48 am »
I am a kid of the 70's, so I remember all this as well and miss it.  Was nice not having a cell phone so anyone can get ahold of you...kids these days don't even know what "playing outside" means for the most part!  Thanks Steve!

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:39:38 am »
HWPlmbr1@ I also remember laying in the back window of my dad's car while he drove 80mph on the interstate. He would stop and pick up hitchhikers and not once did they ever have a chainsaw. He would stop at the grocery and leave all three of us kids in the car. No one ever kidnapped us even though I think that was his plan sometimes. If we got on his nerves he would threaten to pull the car over and beat our butts. It was not just a threat. No one ever called child protective services and reported a crazy man beating his kids on the side of the road. We survived and I sure wish my dad was around to talk about all those fun trips we had. I never felt abused but I sure felt loved.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:55:22 am »
Ahh Yes, those where the good ole days and I remember them well. I was raised on a farm where my brother and I got up at 5:00 am every morning, milked the cows and tended to the animals before we left for school. My mother would be in the kitchen cooking us breakfast, bacon, eggs, grits, biscuits, etc. every morning. We only went to the store once a month to by salt, flour, coffee, tea the things we didn't make, grow or raise on the farm. And we weren't given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, they where real guns with real bullets to.  LOL  I miss those days, my mother and my father.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:29 am »
Before we moved to the big city. Which we all hated but needed the work. We listened to the radio there were some pretty good programs back then and it made you use your imagination since you couldn't see what was happening but the announcer would verbally set the stage for you, and the big treat was when we got the Saturday Evening Post, and Mom would read the stories to us, some were short stories and others were serial and came in installments kind of like the matin?es at the movies. She was very good at it and would change her voice for the different characters. If we got silly or disruptive she put it away and sent us to bed, which was harsh punishment because this was the only time we were allowed to stay up late. We all loved those stories and her reading to us so most of the time we behaved pretty well. I commented a while back about Al's intarsia of the Saturday bath. We didn't have running water except sometimes in the irrigation ditches, so all our water was hauled in 5 gallon milk cans from town, this was for all our needs and I had 3 brothers older than I, and I was the one that they had to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water since I was always last. That water was pretty thick by the time I got to it.
Enough reminiscing for now.
Look what you started Steve. You got old Gabby wound up again.  ;D

After reading other's posts after mine I can see many of us shared similar childhoods, living out in the sticks as we used to call it.
Didn't know what a bathroom was until I was in school. In winter time we had a thunder mug in the back room, other wise it was a 50 yard dash to the outhouse. I'm sure others had it colder but the winters there could dip to 40F or 50F below zero. After deer hunting we would hang their carcasses on the North side of the house, it was a good deep freeze, when we needed meat one of the bigger boys or Dad would go out with a meat saw and carve off what was needed frozen hard as a board, sometimes we'd have 3 or four deer hanging out there at once.
 We had a big potbellied stove for heat but I think Mom had an electric range to cook on. Our first phone was one of those tall black ones with the ear piece on a long cord. I suspect the term "hang up" started with those early models because you had to literally
hang up the earpiece which turned it off. Evereyone was on a "party" line and sometimes us kids would listen in when someone else's number rang. I guess they could hear us breath or giggle because they would say "you kids get off the line" that would scare us so we did!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:47:04 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Dawie

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:27:01 am »
Guess I am a survivor. Born in the 50's. I can identify with a lot of things you say Steve. I always find it facinating to see that some things are pretty much the same all over the world. You growing up in the US and me in South Africa and yet even on this topic there is a conection and a lot of recognition.
I do think back of those years with fond memories.
David

thumbs

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:00 am »
I have coffee with a group of old f--ts everyday and this exact subject came up a while ago.  One of them punched(not hard) my shoulder and asked what I was grinning about-- all I could say was " memories, just memories" Youth is a wonderful time of your life. I tell all my grand kids not to take life so serious,  to have a great time and not to worry about the small stuff. They will grow up too soon anyway. They are always asking when I am going to grow up?--you don't have to grow up , just grow old.  Thanks for posting this Steve--really enjoyed it--Richard aka thumbs

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:21:26 am »
Yeah, I think I remember those days, or was it a TV program, my memory isn't what it used to be ??? ???

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:38:51 am »
I grew up in the country and remember these well.  A special treat was collecting a group of kids and heading for the swimming hole.  Often driving with kids riding on the front fenders.  You had to periodically get out and pluck off the leeches that lived in the leaves on the bottom of the creek.

Chachi

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:25 am »
I Look back on those days with very fond memories and think about how lazy these kids are today we took a cardboard box and did so many things with it you give a kid one today they wouldn't have the first clue what to do with it...

SMF

Teknoromi