Author Topic: First Scroll Toy  (Read 3120 times)

RayS

First Scroll Toy
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:54:04 am »
Well 3 grandchildren dictates pop has to head down a trail of making toys for little girls and boys.

So after seeing Steve's entertaining Drop Clown http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2009/10/clown-drop-toy-pattern.html I decided to have a go.

Grandson No1, 3 yrs didn't like the look of the "Girl clown wearing a dress"so asked pop to make a boy clown wearing pants. mine isn't quite finished yet but here's a drawing I created.

Unlike Steve's plan its all solid one piece no dowel arms, no arm holes to dill either.

What I decided to have a go at is make a bobbing head hough by using a Pen spring to attach the head, suing the little spring out of the tip end of a click pen.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dawie

Re: First Scroll Toy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:26:42 pm »
Should give a nice effect the bobbing head. How are you going the secure the spring so it will be childsave(childproof). Would like to see it once you've made one. Will you post a pic?
David

RayS

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:37 am »
Hi David

two trains of thought securing the spring Epoxy both end into a drilled hole.

OR

Epoxy and a small panel pin shortened and put at 90deg through the wood and spring.

Both grandsons aren't the sort that stuff things into mouths little granddaughter is just 13 months so for her it would be out of reach for now a watch big brother use it type thing.

Unlike their pop (me) who at age 11 doing a card trick swallowed an Ozzie 20c piece about the size of a UK old Penny 25mm dia 3mm thick

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:47:29 am »
Sounds good to me. Have a nice day.
David

RayS

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:52:00 am »
TY its improving almost dinner time here. :D

I will post photo of finished new clown when done..........my trouble is to many jobs not enough time and its mid winter cold and wet.

LOL

RayS

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:23:51 pm »
Sorry its taken so long to let you know how the idea went with the pen spring, to many projects and winter is here so time in the workshop is limited body just isn't what it used to be.

Well the result was great :) except that the normal length pen spring needs to be cut down by 1/3 or a deep hole drilled in both parts.

If the spring is left to long the head will bob to much and weight will stop the clown from dropping as its counter productive in force.

I left about 1/4" gap between body and spring which seems best, if you leave it less or spring seems to tight no bobbing then just elongate the spring.

I'll post a photo or 2 when LOML has painted them both.

Ray

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:42:26 am »
Can't wait to see. Thanks for the update.
David

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:59:41 am »
Everyone, regardless of age, seems to like those little drop clowns.  I make the heads larger than Steve's pattern and then paint a football helmet on the figure.  I use the school colors of different schools, paint on a jersey and usually the number "1".
I know this would not apply to kids, but with college football starting up in a month, they make nice gifts for fans.

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi