Author Topic: letter openers  (Read 1535 times)

Spartan scroller

letter openers
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:34:10 pm »
Hey Everybody:

Been trying to make letter openers an am having a problem sanding the edges sharp.  What is the technique for this?  Do you use a belt sander? Do you hold it at a particular angle?  I'm using 1/2 inch walnut.  Probably too thick. I have ruined three so far. any help would be appreciated.

Terry
terrysscrollshoppe.com

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: letter openers
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:22:35 pm »
I think 1/2" is way too thick. I'd use 1/8" if possible. I made some that were just over 1/8" (which seemed a little thick) and just put them to the belt sander to sharpen. If I make any more, I may try making the blade from 1/16" and laminating contrasting wood for the handle.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:05:26 pm »
I use 1/4 Baltic Birch and sand the the blade with a belt sander then finish by hand .  Skiving away the thickness on Baltic Birch leaves a very pretty design on the blade.
I'm from North Dakota

daliclimbs

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:19:29 pm »
Yep 1/4" for me as Well. Work it down on the belt sander. I always draw a center line down the blade portion of my openers so that I can put a good even sand job on both sides. The angle doesn't matter to much. I think you will notice a huge difference if you switch to a thinner wood.

Spartan scroller

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:53:06 pm »
Yes I figured half inch was too thick.  I'm using Steve's desing for the Dragon letter opener from is pattern catalogue. The plan calls for 3/8 or half inch.  I have done some with 1/4 inch a little better results but I'm still not very good at it.  Usually wind up with a narrow needle like blade.  Not giving up yet.  Gonna try some 1/4 inch.

Thanks all,
Terry
terrysscrollshoppe.com

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:45 am »
Hey Terry....I made several letter openers.  One the same pattern from Steve.  I did mess the first one up pretty badly and tossed it, but learned using a belt sander I have to be extra careful.  Keep thinking about whats happening.  And Whalla....I got pretty darn good at sharpening a wooden blade.  LOL  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:34 am »
It takes practice to sharpen the blades, I do mine on a belt sander and finish hand sanding as Judy does
Jimbo

Spartan scroller

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:51:50 am »
Thanks Danny, I can see there is a learning curve here on how to sand the blade edges.  I tried again with 1/4 inch and got much better results but still not quite satisfactory.  Still have bumps and ridges but when hand sanded they look a little better.  I can see I need to cut and sand a lot more of these before I get em to my standards.  I'm my own worst critic, as I am sure a lot of us are.  Thanks for the encouragement and have a blessed Holiday Season. (of course that goes to all on the forum).

Terry
terrysscrolleshoppe.com

SMF

Teknoromi