Author Topic: which brand of scroll saw machine is better?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
which brand of scroll saw machine is better?
« on: May 06, 2015, 06:19:31 pm »
Hello to all of you.
I have a question:
which brand of scroll saw machine is better?
1) Makita sj401
2) Craftsman
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jarrett

Re: which brand of scroll saw machine is better?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:16:34 am »
I actually was going to buy a Craftsman last week. Looks good online. Got to sears and it just looked cheap and not well built. I did try a skil from Lowes after 2 days took it back and ordered an Excalibur 16". I am new to scroll sawing but if I would have started out with the Skil I would have quit. Do not know anything about the other saw good luck with your quest!

Spartan scroller

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 07:16:39 pm »
Whatever one you are using and like.

regards,
Terry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
Frank - if you can find a woodworking store in your area, they sometimes arrange demo days when manufacturers are one hand to demonstrate their equipment. They'll let you try the features and point out the differences.

For my opinion, the Porter-Cable ($180 with light and stand) is a great low-cost machine. It is solidly built, has a little bigger motor than usual, and works very well. But it does not have a lifting top arm, and you need to tilt the table (not the blade) for angle cuts. If I were staying under $200 that is the machine I'd go for (in fact I did for my 1st scroll saw).

Once I got hooked on scrolling I bought a 21" Excaliber. It is a beautifully made machine with stay-in-place lifting top arm and a tilting head/blade (rather than tilting the table). It costs about $850 with the stand and you need to add a light and foot switch.

If you inherit from a rich relative, the Hegner is a workhorse. That suggests it might be a hard to control, but I've never seen better control for small lettering than Marcel has done, and I believe he uses a Hegner.

Sorry to flood you with opinion without answering your question.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

ChuckD

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:39 pm »
The main thing when getting a machine is to get the best you can afford, and saying that, consider Crapsman Cheap. :(:(

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »
I have a craftsman its now sitting in parts due to the fact the arm bushings wore out and had way to much play in it to make it useable, though it was a good starter saw, lasted me about a year. To replace those arm bushing have to buy the whole arm and both are 50 bucks plus whatever parts at the time need replaced you can buy another one. If you do get the craftsman first thing I would do is see how to get to the arm bushings and keep them greased up and it should last. It does have some vibration but a good solid stand would help. After my craftsman went south I got the EX, and should have done that form the begining, but hind sight is 20/20, I got the craftsman to see how I would like it plus was only going to do this as a way to cut wood letters for my wifes crafts stuff.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 12:12:11 am »
Take a look at the Hawks. Sometimes they are listed on Craigslist, & EBay for reasonable prices. Your budget is your concern, but before you jump into a good saw, be sure its what you're looking for, & a saw you'll enjoy using. Not just buying it to impress your family & buddies, & then let it set & collect dust. Sounds harsh, but I'd like to see you keep sawin', rather then lose interest because ya don't like the saw.😉 enjoy your day😊
Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi