Author Topic: Inconsistent Blades  (Read 1995 times)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
Inconsistent Blades
« on: October 30, 2020, 07:34:00 am »
Just worked through a 12 pack of Pegas 2/0R blades.

They sure break easy!  Had a couple of brand new blades break a second or two after applying tension, without even starting the saw.  Since no settings were changes for the new blades, I figure it has to be the blades.  I am using an Excalibur EX-21, and no changes were made to the arm height.

Some of the blades cut differently than others in the pack.  Needed a different angle to cut a straight line, which made following curves a challenge.

Has anyone else encountered inconsistent blades in a single 12 pack?
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Inconsistent Blades
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 04:31:06 pm »
 I know that there was some complaints on other web sites about Pegas blades.  I think there was a a bad batch. Not sure the size the problem.

Contact who you bought them from to see it they will replace them.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 04:42:01 pm »
I know that there was some complaints on other web sites about Pegas blades.  I think there was a a bad batch. Not sure the size the problem.

Contact who you bought them from to see it they will replace them.
I purchased one package of 12 to test them.  When they worked, they worked very well.

Had the last one in the saw today.  It has been used, cut fine.  Flipped the tension lever, and after a few seconds it snapped.  On its own, never applied power to the saw at all.

I also have some Flying Dutchman 2/0R.  Just started using one of them.  They feel a little heavier - have not measured them yet.  Big test will be if they can go through the hole from a number 70 bit.  Used it a bit, and had trouble getting used to how it cuts, but it pretty normal.

Not going to worry about getting a replacement, all the broken blades just went into the garbage.

I also have some Pegas 2/0 Modified Geometry blades.  I am a bit concerned about how well they will stand up.

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 10:32:19 am »
Yes, it must be something "going around". 

I am working with some Flying Dutchman #3 Reverse blades, cutting thinner stock, because it's usually very smooth and easy. 

Nope, not this time-went through about half a dozen blades in about an hour. 

Sigh. 
Scrolling has its perks

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 11:01:41 am »
Nope, not this time-went through about half a dozen blades in about an hour. 
What do you mean "went through"?  What happened to the blades?

Offline Rockytime

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 09:53:20 pm »
I've been running many 2/0 Pmg blades in my Hegners and have never seen or had a problem. It is my go to blade for everything 1/4" and less, both for BB or hardwood.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 01:04:13 pm »
I've tried various puzzle type blades.  The Bear Woods blades hate me - the ones I have are obviously drunk.
The Superior Puzzle blades from Mike's Workshop only taunt me on occasion.

And even with those, I have an occasional dozen that seem to go dull / wear out a lot faster than usual.  Getting the metal just right as well as the heat treat means that sometimes things will happen.

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 12:48:49 am »
What do you mean "went through"?  What happened to the blades?

They kept breaking in two about an inch from the bottom clamp.  The upper clamp didn't want to hang on to them, either. 

The 5 R's worked fine...no issues on same project, so I was thinking it was a bad batch of 3's.

Scrolling has its perks

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 07:08:15 am »
They kept breaking in two about an inch from the bottom clamp.  The upper clamp didn't want to hang on to them, either. 

The 5 R's worked fine...no issues on same project, so I was thinking it was a bad batch of 3's.
Breaking number 3 blades?  Wow, those are much thicker than the 2/0R blades I was having trouble with.  Agreed, maybe a bad batch?

When the 2/0 blades were breaking on me, they would break in several locations - just above the lower clamp, in the middle, just below the upper clamp.  Not consistent.  So far, the Flying Dutchman 2/0R have been just fine, but have not done much with them.  Had to set the scroll saw aside for another project that will take me (hopefully just) a week.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 04:49:06 pm »
I primarily use #5 blades from 1/8" to 1 1/2" compound cuts and really got tired of the inconsistency of the Flying Dutchman blades.
Most of the problem was blades breaking immaturely but, also problems with some blades cutting very well and the next blade getting dull extremely quickly forcing me to start using more pressure.
When these blades broke, it was almost always about 3/8" below the top clamp.
I also wondered previously if a lot of these blades are just re-branded with names of various companies put on the package of the same blades.
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 11:51:22 am »
I have had a problem with Pegas breakage or the blades not lasting as long as some other brands.   But I have bought other brands in bulk and found they  also are not consistent.  I use Excalibur and Jet scroll saws and found the blades best for me with those machines are FD [flying dutchman]  and Sharktooth

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 01:11:20 pm »
I use Excalibur and Jet scroll saws and found the blades best for me with those machines are FD [flying dutchman]  and Sharktooth
I have not heard of Sharktooth.  Where do you get them?

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 09:58:16 am »
Sorry it took so long to reply:
    Sharktooth as I understand it is a subsidiary of Olson.  I don't much care for Olson blades but the Sharktooth cut like a dream.  Won the Illinois state fair in the Woodworking division/Scrolling   last year with these blades  here is a link  I get them at the Windfield collection
https://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/category/Scroll_Saw_Blades
an imiage of the dutch box I cut out with them will be attached

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 10:02:24 am »
Sorry I meant to tell you that the smallest Sharktooths are  somewhat Aggressive blades so I run the saw on slower speeds for delicate cut outs. 

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 10:53:52 am »
I get them at the Windfield collection
Very nice box!

There are several blade patterns.  Which ones do you prefer?

Checked the Windfield website, and I can't order directly from them because I am in Canada.  I would have to call them to get a quote for shipping.

SMF

Teknoromi