Author Topic: Making Patterns  (Read 1454 times)

Shogun

Making Patterns
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:14 am »
Hi everyone...I'm just taking a break from making a pattern so I could share something with you all. For several months now I have been wanting to do a project of the flag raising on Iwo Jima, I was sure I could find a pattern off the net, but being a former Marine I wanted to do it myself from start to finish. Any way I down loaded the photo started to use Sarif Photo Plus to make the pattern, adjusting the threshold gave me results I didn't like because what I considered key features didn't take because they where too light in the photo. As you know this is often the case and since my artistic ability is nill, I thought "how's this gonna work". Well on a whim I opened the photo with paint and used the straight line and arc features to do arround all the outer edges using the next to the thinnest line in the program, saved it and re-opened it with Sarif and adjusted the threshold. Now where the photo is too light I have an outline to follow, and the background and all the lighter areas are gone as well so I have very little cleaning up, or erasing to do. It took a little while to do the outline but with less "erasing" and "filling" to do I think it saved me time in the long run.

ShadowB6

Re: Making Patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:13 am »
Hi Shogun, have you tried GIMP and Inkscape for your photo editing? DonR posted this link on how to combine the 2 graphics software programs and it actually did a very good job of every pattern I've attempted so far. I still need more practice with eyes, but otherwise it works great.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw-design-tutorials/17249.htm

Try the link and you'll see what I mean. Also GIMP and Inkscape can both be had for FREE on the net and work great. They do take some getting used to, so you may want to use their help sections often.

Mike

Shogun

Re: Making Patterns
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:06:01 am »
Hi Mike...thanks for the suggestions. I did try gimp a while back but have not tried inkscape.

SMF

Teknoromi