Author Topic: Question for DonR  (Read 1927 times)

ShadowB6

Question for DonR
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:57 am »
OK, I went through the entire tutorial that you sent me the link to, and have had very good results. Thank you. Questions though do remain. First is that on step 44, my "merge down" option is grayed out meaning that option is not available to me. Am I doing something wrong or has something changed in version 2.8? And what does "merge down" do? Do I need it?

Also you will see by the example below, there are islands in both eyes, but now after adding the white layer from step 42, I can no longer use my brush tool to continue editing. Again, has something changed in version 2.8 or have I done something wrong? I know I can go back to Inkscape to remove the island, but I'm just wondering why I can't touch up the GIMP image at this stage of the process.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Old Crow

Re: Question for DonR
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:55:36 pm »
Mike,Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your post until just now.
Step 44 Merge down was one of the errors I mentioned. I think it is due to software changes and is not required.
I had no trouble editing Ryan in Gimp. That is where I do most of my editing but you have to save the svg to a jpg.
Hope this helps
Don R

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:51 pm »
Hey guys, me again. Mike, I had that same problem. Step 42 you create a second layer, in 43 you flip-flop them, but you still have two.
I did this instead for step 44.... go to "Image" then "Flatten Image" this will combine or "Merge" the two layers into one.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

ShadowB6

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:33 pm »
Thanks  jrpeteo & Don. Yep, it works now. I'm slowly going through the "Gimp for Beginners" guide. At page 57 of over 300. But when I'm done, and if I can retain any of it in my head, I actually may have some luck with it. I am amazed however just how good this program is for what we need it for.

Mike

Old Crow

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:17:34 am »
Mike, It sounds like you are trying to make it more difficult for yourself. I just played with the software and made lots of practice patterns which I sometimes go back to and have a little embarrassed chuckle.
Good luck
Don R

ShadowB6

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:09:30 am »
Yeah, maybe i do that sometimes Don. Over complicate things. My wife will attest to that.

Old Crow

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
Me too!!!

Offline pictureman

• Always open to new ideas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 11:30:53 am »
What program are y'all talking about?
Ok, I'm from Arkansas, (you all, not y'all) lol
Pictureman

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:19:32 pm »
pictureman, follow this link to the "Computer Questions" > "Portrait Software" thread, and you all will find what y'all are looking for.
And welcome to the forum, how about going to the "Introduce Youself" category and doing same.
Pete

http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=12339.0
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

SMF

Teknoromi