Author Topic: inks and airbrush????  (Read 3027 times)

dave2882

inks and airbrush????
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:53:42 pm »
hi all has anyone used airbrushing for finishing puzzles i have just got one to try it out someone told me to use acrylic inks you can get loads of colours if any of you out there have used one please let me know if this is a good way to go thanks and happy scrolling ::)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: inks and airbrush????
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:30:10 am »
I have a couple of kits, but haven't used them at all. I hope someone has some info on this for you, I am interested to see the results.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52:02 am »
Hi Dave, I use an airbrush for clear finishing. I use a water base clear Polycrylic (lowes or homedepot)
I haven't used inks, but have painted a little. Water base is a great way to go, but you have to be careful when thinning them. Too much water and they pull the grain of the wood up and you have to do a lot of sanding. Experiment is about the only advise. Always try it on scrap first

daliclimbs

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 05:51:38 pm »
Dave I use and airbrush quite often. I make fishing lures and also paint canvas with them. They are a great way to do shading on any painted project. It creates an effect that can not be done any other way. My first piece of advice is to definitely get airbrush ready paint createx is what I use solely. It feeds great and cleans easy and they have a great assortment of opaque translucent and metallic colors. If you need to thin them use a bit of Future floor Polish as its almost solely acrylic. Finish with a bit of clear coat and bam... you got an easy quick way of painting any scroll saw item.. as for inks I can't help you. But if you buy the translucent colors from createx it will be the same effect as an ink or stain wash but with color. And with a light coat the wood grain will still show through.

dave2882

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:45:44 pm »
hi thanks for all the advice i have had a few goes now and it seems to be going well it helps loads when you can pick up tips from people like yourselfs so thanks for that i think i will try the paints instead the inks and see how that goes but i am finding its so much better than a brush or roller so happy days and thanks alot  ;D ;D

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »
Hey Crusty

Do you thin the polycrylic or use it right from the can?

Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:28:39 am »
Hi Billy, Yes, you can use the polycrylic right from the can. That may vary with the airbrush. I use an inexpensive airbrush from Harbor Frieght

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 07:30:10 pm »
thanks Crusty

I have a sign that needs re-coating, the weather is going to be super tomorrow. May be the best time I got in a while.

Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi