Author Topic: Hello from UK  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Malcolm161

• View Profile
Hello from UK
« on: March 14, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »
Hi, I'm Malcolm, retired and enjoying my woodworking which I have been doing for a couple of years.  I have mainly been making bandsaw boxes, but would now like to add some Intarsia / Segmentation if possible as |I feel this would be a good challenge.

Just updated my scrollsaw to a newly launched Axminster Trade Ex16 and looking forward to doing more with that.  Live near Birmingham in the UK.

So far, some of my work is on http://www.badgerwoodcrafters.co.uk

Looking to learn a lot from you all.

Malcolm

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from UK
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:09:24 pm »
G'Day Malcolm and welcome to the forum.

I spent some time checking out the link to your website 'Badger Woodcrafters' I am impressed with the range of band saw boxes you have made. You are right in saying that most people give up making them because it is too hard. We have just added a new band-saw at the Men's Shed I belong to. Band-saw Boxes are something we can now get into and I think every member will probably want one to take home.

Thanks for sharing with us what you and your son make together.

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:07:54 pm »
I have been making cedar boxes with images inlaid into the hinged lids using the "double bevel inlay " method using a scroll saw.  You might like to try that.
      I make and sell about 300 of them a year.
       Last week I started making band saw boxes similar to some of yours.  It appears that in making band saw boxes the choice of the wood is very important to the over all appearance of the box.  Not so much with a lot of  scroll saw work, (except for Intarsia).
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Malcolm161

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 01:39:53 pm »
Hi Jim,

I have not done much scrolling, but do want to try Intarsia. There are a few really good Intarsia scrollers over her and if I can replicate their work I will be a happy bunny.  Nothing but time and having already reached 75, a new challenge is just what I want. I will still keep going on the bandsaw boxes, as they are fun also.
Malcolm

Offline Malcolm161

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 01:46:44 pm »
HI Hawkdave, thanks for the reply.  I started the boxes only a couple of years ago, having moved on from photography in a serious way and selling some lenses gave me the money to buy woodworking gear.

One of the inspirations for the boxes was from someone over there, Dave Watkins, who is a real master at the job. You can see his work on http://www.designer-woods.com/  The hidden drawers are very popular with buyers.  The Men's Shed is a great idea and there are several started up over here, but not sure how active they are.  Bandsaw boxes can be done on the scrollsaw, but may be a little smaller in depth, just needs a little aplication and ideas.  Good luch with that.
Malcolm
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:16:51 pm by Malcolm161 »

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »
G'Day Malcolm, I tried your link to designerwoods and it is incomplete.

http://designer-woods.com/

I checked out the site and I agree with you, he is a real master at what he does. Thanks for the link.

I wished he was here in Australia where I live, I would love to visit his workshop. But I guess seeing it on the internet will have to suffice.

The Men's Shed idea was first started in Australia a number of years ago, and yes, they are a great idea. The concept is slowly gaining momentum around the world and men are starting to realise the benefits of belonging to a shed in their area. It is not just about making things in the wood or metal shop, it is the mate-ship and having someone to talk too about what goes on in their lives. I would highly recommend any bloke to join a shed if they have one close by.

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:30:07 pm »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 08:40:35 am »
Hi Malcolm and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.

Offline Malcolm161

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 06:19:48 pm »
THanks Toneman and you too julief, nice to se you here.

Thanks also Dave for the correction. My typing fingers don't always go where I tell them to and I also don't check what I have written (3 corrections to that line!

Malcolm

SMF

Teknoromi