Author Topic: TT Rider Geoff Duke on Manx Norton Intarsia  (Read 3241 times)

Claymore

TT Rider Geoff Duke on Manx Norton Intarsia
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:50:31 am »
Hi,
Here's the finished Norton Intarsia complete with Geoff Duke  :) thinks its turned out ok.
It measures 18" x 15" x 1 1/2" and is made from Iroko for the leathers/boot, Sycamore for his Face and number plates,Walnut for the seat and bike frameand helmet, Beech for Engine etc and Helmet, exhausts. for the cooling fins on the engine I glued some plywood together until I had a large piece and then cut the engine out and shaped via sander and it worked lovely.
I have already started on the next which is a BMW K100RT (I have had 5 of them in the past and loved touring on them) but I have also been busy making patterns for a whole range of large bike related stuff including Mike Hailwood on a Norton, the guys and bikes from Easyrider movie plus plenty more to keep me busy.
Hope you like it
Brian
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:53:40 pm by Claymore »

Offline Malcolm161

• View Profile
Re: TT Rider Geoff Duke on Manx Norton Intarsia
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:51:33 pm »
Can't get over how quickly you are with turning these out Brian. It doesn't seem that long ago that you were talking about doing this and it's superb.
Malcolm

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:15:58 pm »
I really like this one Brian. Well done!

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Claymore

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:14:37 pm »
Thanks guys and I am slowly getting a bit quicker as I learn new techniques and have been trying to get my workshop organised and improving my tools etc.
This one took approx 4wks from making my pattern to waxing. I wanted to get a sepia effect to the project and managed to find some nice wood..... as usual they are made from recycled damaged old furniture from charity shops etc but I am drying some timber from our land which will eventually end up as Intarsia projects.

Thanks again
Brian :)

Offline ALG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 07:48:42 pm »
Excellent work - Top notch

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:55:59 am »
Brian
Well done- Love looking at the bikes you do
Looks like you are starting to find a good supply of various hardwoods over there
Brian

Claymore

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 03:10:35 pm »
Thanks Brian  :)  Aye I have quite a bit of hardwood now and 99% of it is recycled so helping to save the planet too lol
Intarsia is great because even the smallest scraps of wood get used up hence reason I have loads of large plastic boxes filled with the different types. I am getting a small  lathe so i can turn the motorcycle parts to improve quality and get more detail.... I am interested in doing the fine detailed stuff which is useful as here in the UK there doesn't seem to be much interest in the very large Intarsias like in the US etc and they don't sell very well but my Bikes have been the most popular ones and I'm trying to create my own style by making my own patterns and also incorporating many different techniques/materials to get the look I'm after.
I have a folder full of future projects with some VERY unusual designs/ideas (won't give too much away as it will spoil the surprise in the future)
Thanks again and take care
Brian

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:26 pm »
Outstanding piece of art!  Well done!
Chris

Claymore

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:55 pm »
Thanks Chris  :)  I love doing the bike one's and have plenty of others lined up..... Having owned 40+ bikes  including a Norton/Harley etc plus a trike you could say I like bikes lol .
Over the years many things linked to bikes and riders have entertained me and stuff like seeing Evel Kneival Jump the buses at Wembley Stadium (London) as a boy (My uncle took me to see it) and then movies like EasyRider , Electraglide in Blue etc all influenced me and as soon as I was old enough to get a bike I did (even did bike instructing for a few years to earn more money for bikes)
I had to sell my last bike due to health problems but I am hoping to be back on two wheels one day.

Cheers
Brian

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 07:37:30 am »
Brian, wow!  Fantastic work.

I ride too, in the past I have had, Bultaco, Norton, Triumph Bonneville 650, Yamaha scrambler, and now I have a 1999  electra glide with over 300K on the clock and a customized fat boy.  I ride and wrench.

Beautiful just beautiful work.

Jim

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:42:22 am »
I really like your work, Brian! Looking forward to seeing more! Have had Harleys since '72 until just a couple of years ago. Had my own shop called the Hawg Pen for a few years.

Paul

SMF

Teknoromi