Author Topic: Olsen blades  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
Olsen blades
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:18:00 am »
I mainly use skip reverse Olsen blades.  I need some #1's and #3's but can't find them in skip reverse. I guess they don't make those sizes.  Do you guys have Olsen recommendations for those sizes? I have Flying Dutchman but I don't like them.  I know I know most of you guys love them.  On that note I have dozens and dozens of FD and won't ever use them. 
Chris

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Olsen blades
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:29:53 am »
I am with you on the FD blades, although to most that is not a popular position. I have tried them again and again (my partner, Keith also has) and they seem to turn as an 'afterthought' and you would think that I am a brand new scroller. The Olson's are by far the best blades we have used.

That being said - The Wooden Teddy Bear has the best prices and carries the full line of blades at the best prices. You can mix and match sizes for quantity discounts as well and they ship fast.

I LOVE the Mach Speed blades in size #3. They can do an amazing amount of detail and may even be able to work where you previously used the size 1's. I suggest you give them a try. I found the skip tooth blades in size 1 in the middle of this page on their site (sorry - I had the wrong page at first - I corrected it!) :) :

http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/x/home.php?cat=4&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=3

I hope this helps. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:37 am »
Scroll saw blades are very subject to individual preferences.  I've long been an Olson blade user.  Their #3 MS blade is as close to an all-purpose blade for me, as anything I've used.  Looking back, I recall getting some FD #2/0 reverse tooth blades when I first started scrolling, almost 20 years ago.  I could not cut with them to save my life.  I went to an Olson #2/0 reverse and cut with no problems.  Ipso facto, I became an Olson devotee.  I rarely used FD's for much of anything after that.  Then I tried some Olson spirals for Christmas Lichterbogens I was making several years ago.  I had all sorts of problems with them breaking and I couldn't keep them in the blade clamps.  I got some FD flat end spirals and things went much better.  Recently I bought some FD UR #1 blades and I have to say, they are every bit as good as my beloved Olson MS #3's and they're smaller, so I can cut finer detail, without sacrificing cutting speed or blade life.  So, moral of my story is that I don't think any manufacturer makes "the best" blade for everyone, in every size and type.  I'll continue to use a mix of Olson and FD blades, based on what works for me.  What works for someone else may be completely different.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:48:29 pm »
Sheila,  I still don't see Olson reverse skip or plain skip in size 1.  Am I just not seeing it??  The reverse skip goes from 2/0R, to 2R to 5R.  I'm assuming Olson doesn't make that blade in 1R or 3R, which to me would be odd since those are popular sizes especially size 3.

Bob,  I must admit I do portraits with FD spirals (and like that blade) and I am going to retry my FD UR 1's.
Chris

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:50:07 pm »
No, I believe you are correct in saying that they do not make them anymore. I think that Wooden Teddy has the entire line of their blades. :/ 
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:35:04 am »
Did you try sloanswoodshop.com ? They also have the best birch ply available. I have dealt with them for many years, and never a complaint! I use both brands.

Paul

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 10:34:08 am »
Thank you, Paul, for the link to   sloanswoodshop.com (I had to type the www. first to make it work) Since Mike has retired, this looks like it will be my new go-to place.
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline dirob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »
wow good to see others sticking their hands up regarding the popular fd blades I am with others on this topic. I use fd spirals only and don't like the fd blades for any other application. I use for all other applications the PG blades which in my opinion are the best for intricate cutting.Great supply in Aussie land from Helen in South Australia and very affordable.
R F R

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:48:46 am »
It was nice to hear that someone else - Sheila Landry - is using the Olsen Mach blades....I was beginning to think  I was the only one.  Sure wish they also made them in a size 1.  When I need something smaller, I usually use the FD UR #1.  Unlike the 5 and 7, these don't seem to cause the chipping out on the back, but still have some fuzzies that need sanding. 

If it wasn't for all the fuzzies on the back, I'd use the FD UR for everything....love how they track and they stay nice and sharp.  I just don't have time for that much sanding, so go with the Mach whenever possible, as it leaves the back absolutely clean.

One other note on the FD, I keep an alcohol dispenser handy to wet a paper towel with it and wipe the excess oil off both ends of the blades.  Most blades have some, but I've noticed the FD REALLY have a lot.  Sure would make it hard to keep them in the blade holders.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 10:50:42 am »

Offline Malcolm161

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 04:14:31 am »
Hi Raptor 66,  I am fairly new to scrolling and to this site, although I tend to do more on http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ over here.

You have not indicated in your profile where you are located, which is helpful to others to know. If you are in the UK, I would be interested in your FD Ultra Reverse blades?

Malcolm

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:24:16 am »
HI Malcolm,  thank you for your profile updating suggestion.  I have already sold my FD blades to someone else.  Sorry.  By the way, I live in Texas.
Chris

SMF

Teknoromi