Author Topic: Mouse on Cheese pattern, made into box question  (Read 1444 times)

chefman

Mouse on Cheese pattern, made into box question
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »
I remember seeing someone make a box out of Steve's pattern with the mouse sitting on the cheese. My question is, how would I make a pattern for the layers of cheese so the walls come out correctly? I'm not sure I'm asking it correctly, but I want to make sure the 2nd line (the inside line of the cheese) is perfectly set so all walls are even? I'm really new to the whole making pattern idea, (really really new lol). Any help would be appreciated. :)

TIA
Chefman

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse on Cheese pattern, made into box question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:04:03 am »
I'm not sure what you are asking about and it would depend on how big of a box you want but.......

I would cut two or three wedges out of 1-1/2" (or even 3/4") material and cut the inner part of the box out of them as close as possible and stack glue them to get the depth.
 Keep the walls at least 1/4"+ thick. A lot of sanding (and or filing) will be required to get the inside a smooth as possible. Then glue on the bottom (same shape as the outside of the box) and sand the outside smooth.
The top can be done in the same manner only don't glue it on. You may have to use tape on two of the three sides while you sand one of the sides and then move the tape around to finish each side one at a time. I would use a slab of the inner cutout to locate the top by resawing one of the scrap pieces and gluing it to the inside of the top.
Glue the mouse on top and finish as desired.
If you have ever cut a bowl or vase, you will understand what I'm talking about and know that extensive sanding is just part of doing anything really cool.  ;)
Good luck and of course you need to post a picture of the finished box and, it wouldn't hurt to post some I.P. photos also! (In Progress)  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

chefman

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »
Thank you! :) I appreciate the help. I was thinking of 1/4 inch for the walls. I wasn't sure how to draw a perfect 1/4 inch line inside the cheese to keep it perfect all the way around(basically making it into a new pattern). I mean I can eyeball it, but that will be a disaster waiting to happen.

As for posting pics, I'm not very good at this at the moment. And well, I'm kind of embarrassed to post any pics. :( Especially when I see the great stuff everyone else is doing.

Thanks again for the info, I will be attempting this starting tonight. If you hear slight cursing floating on the wind, lol, that is me. :)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:35:40 pm »
Is this the pattern you're talking about?
http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2009_11_02_archive.html

If so, here's my suggestion. Cut a wedge for the base from 1.5" lumber, then cut out its center as the inside of the box leaving a 1/4" thick wall. Cut (2) wedges from 1/4" lumber the size of the outside of the bottom + 1/8", and another wedge from 1/4" lumber the size of the inside of the bottom.

Glue one bigger 1/4" wedge to the bottom of the 1.5" wedge (box bottom).
Glue the smaller 1/4" wedge to the bottom of the 2nd bigger 1/4" wedge (this is the lid).

When the glue is set, put them together and sand the edges of the bottom and top to match the 1/5" wedge outside, then add the mouse as a handle.

Here's a picture of the kind of box top I'm talking about, but your box would be wedge-shaped. This one is a friction fit, but your could be a little looser if you prefer.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

chefman

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:09:33 pm »
Yup that is the pattern :). Thank you for the tips and information. I will let you know how it comes out (either okay or fancy firewood)  ;D I think I will practice on pine first as it's cheaper or maybe poplar.

Thanks again! :)

Robert Phillips

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:52 am »
I did that made a cheese box from the pattern. I just printed a Quarter segment on an a3 sheet sized to what ever size you need then made a second one however thic you wanted the walls smaller and just dropped it inside the larger one and stuck it on the wood I made two identical for a deeper box and glued them together Roger said it requires a fair amount of sanding.

Robert Phillips

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:09:26 am »
Forgot picture

chefman

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:00:34 pm »
Thank you! :-)  That is how you did the walls. I was trying to figure that out. I'll let you know how it comes out. Unless its really bad..lol

SMF

Teknoromi