Author Topic: Weird  (Read 3119 times)

math2010

Weird
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:51:45 pm »
Hi!

Few weeks ago, I publish a topic about the problem I had with puzzles. The pieces was going out only on one side... You gave me good advices. I tried all of that.

Here's something weird... When I'm making puzzles with 3/4 inch pine, it's not so bad. The pieces go out on both side with a little of sanding. But, when I'm making puzzles with 3/4 inch maple... Ouch!!! The piece go out only on one side and I need to sand with a dremel to be able to let the piece go out on both sides...

The blade is perfectly square with the table and I try to let the blade do the cutting with a minimum of pressure on the wood. The tension on the blade make a good sound and the blade doesn't go 1/8 inch on each side...

What a weird thing...

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Weird
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:03:27 am »
It sounds like your table isn't exactly square to the blade. Do a test cut on a thick piece of wood then slide it around to the back edge of the blade to see if the blade and the cut line up. You might want to use a magnifying glass to look close, it won't take much to cause your problem.
Good luck,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

joey65746

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:05:20 am »
what kind of saw do you have ?  and what do you have to check squareness  with ? a good square is worth its weight in gold .     i had the same problem with my shopfox saw  turned out the the blades travle was not perfect up an down it went side to side bout 1/16 of a inch and no way to fix it on that saw i dont no what saw you have  it could be as small as your blade clamp the adjusting nut may not be square.   win you check your saw move the arm up and down and watch the blade to see if it comes off of the square  side to side

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:47:54 am »
If your table is square and you are doing ok with the pine, you are probably pushing your wood when you get to the harder wood.  You have to let the blade do the work.  If you push, you are going to get that uneven cut that wont allow the pieces to slide either way.

daliclimbs

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:59:36 am »
I'm with Julief.. 3/4 maple is tough stuff. If your pushing it your blade flexes in the direction your pushing. Up your blade tension a bit and don't rush your cut.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:04:05 pm »
if a piece only goes out one way the blade is being pushed out of square. Slowdown your feed rate, and maybe increase your saw speed. You really need to take your time with puzles.
You will also  notice a difference when cutting with or against the grain at times, hardwoods cut differently then pine.
Keep practicing, it will get better.

UHMNL

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:34:35 pm »
Some very good advice.
Slowdown your feed rate and try to use high speed.
If not, the blade starts to cut with a bevel.
To check if the table is square the to blade, try this:
Cut about 1/16 into the outside of the thick wood and than try if it fits in the back of the blade.
When it does the blade is square to the table.

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 02:44:49 pm »
In addition to all the above, make sure the blade you are using is capable of cutting 3/4 maple. Iggy.
Frustration is the food of invention.

math2010

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »
Thanks everybody for your good advices.

I'm using Excalibur Ex-16.
I guess the blades are ok to cut 3/4 maple. I'm using FD-SR # 7 or 9.

I was using about 3/4 of the maximum speed. I'll try the maximum speed and try to relax my feed rate.

To mrsn, yes I notice a difference when cutting with or against the grain. Sometimes it make a big high pitch sound when cutting in the same way that the grain...

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:26:19 pm »
Good Morning....  I have cut many, many puzzles and for sure remember when I started....  Like EVERYONE has said puzzles needs the saw, blade, tension and rate of feed to be precise especially when cutting the hard woods.  I normally stick to pine or Popular and some cedar.  I most always use the FD-UR 5 for cutting 3/4" stock.  The 7and 9 make to large of a kerf for puzzles.  And Like Dgman (Dan) always says this is just my 2 cents.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:28:17 pm »
I think that size blade is to big as you can not turn tight corners, I use a #3 for puzzles and cut 20mm no trouble, I run the saw at around half speed, but you have to keep the blade square all the time you are cutting do not push the wood through let the blade do the cutting
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi