Author Topic: Dust Sucker!  (Read 2169 times)

tux_linux

Dust Sucker!
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »
I have had some time in the wood shop between the years and was able to work on a device for catching some of the dust. I also cleaned my shop and found a fine layer of wood dust all around. So it was time to create some that would help me.

I've had several ideas how to do it and was originally thinking about some cyclone kind of vacuum device. But I doubt that it would work as fine as I wanted it too.
So I decided to go with a much simpler solution that you can see in the pictures:

The fans are super 5.5" silent computer fans ("be quiet! Case Fan SILENTWINGS USC 140mm") . You can run them at full power and won't hear anything. I've set up a frame around them and added a slot for a filter. The filter is what you get for kitchen hoods, pretty simple & cheap stuff.

The fans have run now for 2 days as a test and I was already able to vacuum off a decent amount of dust each day.
I will try to mount some cages in front of the fans and one in front of the filter, but I will also check if this develops any noise.

The complete system will be mounted to the right side of my Hegner scroll saw. There are some screw threads at the top side chassis where I want to mount the dust device using hinges and maybe even magnets (to make the device movable / removable).

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Dust Sucker!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »
Interesting concept Torsten.  Looks a lot better than my attempt at a downdraft table top.

Karl

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:28:38 pm »
Well I shall be the FIRST to say this is a Great Idea.  I rigged up a Square dollar store fan with a house filter secured to the front.  Also rigged up a Round fan/heater on the right side of me.  Being its Cold here the heat feels real good and the fan blows the dust as I cut straight at the square fan which sits to my left approx. 6 inches away from my Hegner.  Works real good.  Danny  :+)
Danny  :+}

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »
Hmmmmmm, very interesting.  Will have to run this past my handyman.  Thanks for sharing.
ChelCass

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:01:28 pm »
Nice work, keep us updated on how it works out.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

joey65746

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:48 am »
 that is a slick set up i ben dreaming up a way to get that fine dust my self  i was going to use my shop vac and put the hose under the table but that thing drove me nuts from the noise   you got a lot better great product going

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:11:08 am »
Joey, that was also my concern. My Hegner is quite (depending on the wood I cut). I have a quite tank pump as a dust blower. So I wanted also a silent device for this. I can still hear my radio plying while I scroll along.

Danny, Please provide some photos. Sounds interesting.

smitty0312

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:43:31 am »
Keep us posted, looks good, I have the box fan/filter for my dust collector and it has worked pretty good getting the dust sucked away from me while I cut, I have it setting a couple feet away from my saw on my work bench.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:19:22 pm »
Interesting idea,  I have been thinking of using a bathroom exaust fan with an ac filter the same way.  Has anyone ever tried one of them?

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »
smitty, I have a fish tank pump to keep the pattern visible. It doesn't take much to do so, I just want to see the square inch in front of the blade to know where to cut. The rough dust should stay on the table and is swept into a small box under the scroll saw from time to time:

The dust filter is just there to catch the thin "flying dust". And it does catch it, I can see a pretty good layer of wood dust on the filter after 1-2h of work in the shop.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:37 pm »
I doubt if those filters will be fine enough, you will need some filter fabric to filter no less than 2 or 3 microns, the filters out of a range hood ate only the condenser type and no good for fine dust
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »
you think so? I will have to let that think work some time to figure it out. So far it's attracting quite some dust, I have round dust layers in front of the fans after some scrolling.
The device is currently standing behind my saw on the table - I can't find any more hinges to mount it :( Guess I have to buy some and will THEN find some in my shop.

SMF

Teknoromi