Author Topic: which saw ?  (Read 4574 times)

ex-28

which saw ?
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:59:52 pm »
funds limited i picked up this saw for $99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/3/StationaryTools/ScrollSaws/PRD~0556703P/Mastercraft+Maximum+16-in.+Scroll+Saw.jsp?locale=en

wondering if i should return it and pick this one up http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-16-variable-speed-scroll-saw/609-28827-609-28827
it's $50 more   and no toolless blade change from what i can see,  i just really worried the mastercraft one isnt a good saw at all , would love some input !

or i could go with this one http://www.rona.ca/shop/~saw-18-in.-scroll-saw-with-bench-haussmann-xpert-440071_!scrollsaw_shop
however i not sure they stock this in my area.

choices  1 2 or 3

?

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Re: which saw ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »
My first saw was a Mastercraft from Canadian tire. It was loud, vibrated badly, took pinned blades. I had it only a short time before I replaced it. Recommend to stay away from pinned blades as it really limits what you can do with your saw. Good luck.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »
I agree totally! If it is in your budget to avoid pin blade only saws do it. Otherwise you will be cut off significantly on the projects you can even do. Generally cheaper saws mean more vibration. If you have the budget to go up another 50 or 100 bucks do so. It will be Well worth it. My friend used a variable speed craftsman for quite a while before he upgraded. In all he liked the saw and never had any real issues with it.

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »
If you can get them in your area, the Porter-Cable saw (or whatever it may be packaged as there) really is a decent entry-level saw.  I've done some rather intricate work on mine and, although I'm sure it would be easier on a better saw, it is very capable if you have the patience. 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »
Unfortunately the saying "you get wait you pay for" applies to scroll saws also. The cheaper ones vibrate a lot, make more noise, don't last as long. The blade holders are usually a pain also. I wouldn't recommend none of those listed.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »
For me, I wouldn't buy a saw that only took pinned blades. from the listings numbers 1 & 3 can do both, The craftsman didn't say.
I wouldn't buy a saw with out toolless blade changes. The number of times  you change blades having to take the effort of using a tool everytime gets old. I also am terible about being able to keep track of the little allen wrench that you usually have to use. (and I swear that they make the screw something funny so that all of the other allen wrenches in the drawer don't work, but thats another rant, lol)

I really like the look of the mastercraft. I have never used one, but I am a chick and how it looks is really important. It looks like you linked to the higher-end of two mastercraft scroll saws. That might be a good thing.
I have seen the craftsman at sears, I even played with it for a bit in the store and I didn't like it at all. The entire thing looked and felt cheep. But again, it might be just me.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »
I just bought two Craftsman's one new and the other used.  Both take pinless and are easy to change the blades.  The New one was bought online and shipped free to my local store.  They were running a special and I got 10% off.  I think I paid under 125.00 for it.  The used one which is a higher grade then the new one (has light, blower) cost me 75.00 I just happened to stumble upon that one. It's in mint condition and so far I like it just fine.  Hubby loves his also.
ChelCass

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 05:41:40 pm »
Here we are once again folks!

The constant posting of "Whatever Works For YOU!"

If you buy an entry level, cheaper saw and you are totally frustrated, Do Not Blame Yourself! It is most likely the diminished capabilities of the saw and NOT your skills!!!

Better golf clubs make a better golfer, no matter their skill level. Your equipment makes a fairly large difference in how you perform.

Buy the best you can afford and use it until you realize that the 'equipment' is limiting your performance.
THEN go out and get 'better equipment'!

I have been at this hobby about 3 1/2 years and I could not believe the difference a better saw made.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ex-28

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:20 pm »
returned the one to canadian tire and picked up the one from rona, what a difference smooth  not much vibration no work light but guess i can find something to tie in and work , should hold me off untill i can afford a goos unit :)

really appreciate all the input as a newbie i really appreciate it , what got me into scrooling was the video of making the "chainsaw"  with the links came across it other day on yourtube by accident and then i started to really look at what was available out there , all i can say is wow!

MIke

Offline KurtP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:22:39 am »
Good choice Mike, anything is better then the mastercraft. I learned that the hard way.
 Good luck.

math2010

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 09:32:53 am »
Best move you could do!!!

Mastercraft=mastercrap... I had a lot of troubles with that scroll saw. I was less lucky then you because they never wanted to take it back. They replace it one time, and finally I throw it in the garbage. It was practically dangerous to work with it. The guy at Mastercraft said: Don't even think to cut plywood with a 100$ saw... Last time I bought tool from Canadian Tire...

ex-28

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »
yes all worked out thanks for the info everyone !

SMF

Teknoromi