Author Topic: What woods?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: What woods?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 11:32:58 pm »
GB you're not supposed to take tokes from the smoker ya old hippy!

Seriously Brenda Dan gave you good advice stay with the inexpensive stuff until you get the hang of it, it is going to take some practice to do so. If there is a lumber yard near by you can probably get lots of scrap they are throwing away mine has a dumpster where they throw away lots of useable wood, grab a bunch and order some Flying Dutchman blades from FD Mike and listen to his recommendations he won't steer you wrong. He has an assortment pack with various types and sized blades so you can try them and find what works best for you.
Happy Scrolling,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Terry Jackson

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:50:00 pm »
Picked up a root ball of Mesquite in Sierra Vista in March, used a chain saw to semi square it up in November, and hacked a 1" piece off one side.  Used it for couple small bowls, and found a bark intrusion and embedded sand and rock which just halted progress and shredded the blade.  Went the other way from the entry hole and got them made.  It cut surprisingly easily considering the weight/density of the piece.  The bowls were very acceptable, and it sanded fairly easily.

When using the chain saw the sparks flew everywhere and cutting was slow. 

Sure made some lovely small bowls, and my brother was truly impressed. 

If you can get the Mesquite into useable sizes you might want to try it.  YMMV.

Marshall

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 06:26:50 am »
Hey Brenda, All good advice given so far, but let me add this. As a scroll saw instructor I start my students off using 3/4" pine. It is inexpensive and easy to cut. For starting off it is what I recommend. After you get the hang of cutting, then go with the hardwoods. Poplar and Alder are both excellent woods to cut. I also use Oak a lot. But for now, as a beginner, stay away from the Mesquite.
Also another wood to stay away fround Brenda is Hickory , I tryed it one time what a headache . I with all , I'm a Baltic Birch plywood man 1/8" perferably for Christmas Ornaments and Portriats . I try to work with more soft woods - for it's easier - but when the customer wants a hardwood project I'll do it too ................my two cents worth .................MB  :D

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 07:33:03 am »
I use a lot of mesquite because of the tight grain and great finish.  Also, it is readily available in Texas.  If I am making something special for someone out of state, I try to use Mesquite so I am sending something from Texas.  It has it's downfalls though.  You will find holes throughout it that you should fill with appoxy.  It's no problem because appoxy will cut and sand just like the wood.  It will give you an opportunity to use some neat fillers and colors to enhance your cuttings.

In general, the poplar you picked up is a great wood to use for many types of projects.  I use it alot.  It is easy to find and has interesting grain patterns.  Walnut is another of my favorites but you will have to get it somewhere other than the big box stores.  I make a bunch of my boxes and special projects out of pine first to see what it is going to look like before I use my more expensive wood on it.

Practice on whatever you can get your hands on and decide what you like to work with.

Unknotted

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 09:26:17 am »
Thank you all for the great tips.  I'm ready to tackle something small now, with a smidgeon of confidence.  The mesquite will be drying while I use the easier-to-work-with woods and maybe someday I try using some of it.  If I never feel like I have what it takes to use the mesquite I'll throw it in the fireplace.

I checked out the link that one of you posted as a source for wood and was surprised to see that the baltic birch isn't as pricey as I was afraid it would be.  But today I'm going to start working with some of the poplar I got yesterday.

Thanks tons!!

Brenda

SMF

Teknoromi