Author Topic: What woods?  (Read 2144 times)

Unknotted

What woods?
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »
I went to Home Depot today and got a little bit of wood, but YIKES!  I am not sure what kinds I should get and was overwhelmed by the choices I had to make.  I live in a smallish town.  Our only big stors are a Home Depot and a Walmart.  There are no craft stores like Michael's or anything like that.  The woods I found are poplar, alder, red oak and pine.  I picked up a little of this and a little of that, but I am wondering what kinds of woods do you guys recommend for beginner projects?  Oh, and on the way home we found a pile of nice mesquite logs that the prison work crew had cut and stacked along the road so we stopped and picked up a little of that too.

I bet the answer to that question already lies somewhere in this forum, so I apologize if this is a repeat, but I'd appreciate it if you'd just take pity on me and throw me some suggestions.

Thanks~ Brenda

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: What woods?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:12:14 pm »
Of the ones you mentioned, I would say that the poplar is the best one to start with.  The oak is good, but because of the open grain, it isn't always the best choice regarding strength.  The pine can be a bit sticky and it isn't really strong.  I am not too sure about the alder as I am not familiar with it, but I am sure that other can help with some advice on that. 

The poplar has a generally even grain and is not too hard or difficult to cut.  It holds together well enough for most beginner and intermediate designs and should be nice for some starting projects.  This is just my opinion, and I hope it helps.  Welcome to our world here.  You are going to love scroll sawing!  Don't be afraid to ask any questions here.  We are all here to help each other. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:26:16 pm »
I would use the poplar. I personally don't like scrolling with oak, it is fairly week and tends to break plus I find it really hard on blades.
Some of the big box stores can order baltic birch plywood (the good stuff with lots of layers and no voids) If you have a way to haul it, and cut it down you might want to look into it. Baltic birch plywood is really nice for making portraits and things. If your small town happens to have a cabinet shop, or maybe a contractor you can be-friend you might find a source. It is commonly used for making cabinet drawers.
Do you ever get to a town with a Michael's or JoAnn? If you do, look in either the model making section or the "woodworking" section. They carry baltic birch plywood that is as good as (and the same price as) the rockler near me. It might be worth a trip every now and then.

Unknotted

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:36:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  We'll be going to Tucson sometime in the next week or so and I can check Michael's there.  I did find a piece of plywood (1/8" X 2' X 4' ) at Home Depot and although I don't know how well it will work it sure is pretty.  I also got a couple of poplar boards, so I guess for now I'll be fine.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »
You've got good advice there Brenda.

I'll add to it:  The alder is a good wood for a beginner.  We've used a lot of alder in our shop so I've saved a lot of cut offs.  I've planed most of it down to 1/4" for ornaments and such.  

It cuts real easy (I've stacked 3 pieces easily).  It doesn't leave a lot of frizzed edges, it sands up real well and it takes a look of cherry.

I'm surprised Home Depot carries it.  I'll have to take a look.

Karl
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:44:39 pm by KarlB »

Unknotted

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »
Karl, our Home Depot has a new little rack of hobby wood.  It's sitting near where they keep the 1" boards and decorative trim and such.  They just recently added the hobby wood, so it might have been because there is nowhere else for us to get that type of wood and they knew it would sell well.  Thanks for the tip on Alder.  It looks really smooth and tight grained, but the color isn't very pretty.  It seems to have a light yellowish-greenish cast to it, but to be honest, right now I am more worried about easy workability than color, so I'll give it a try.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:45:02 pm »
The 1/8" plywood you by from Home Depot is really not very good for scrolling. Usually only three ply and full of voids. Pieces will break off when cut real small. It used used as a top-layer sub-floor, door skins and cabinet backings.

I would recommend a good grade of Baltic Birch plywood like from Sloan's Woodshop. This is a very nice wood for the scroll saw. It is a very strong plywood even after cutting your fretwork. All plies are birch. Inner plies are virtually void free. Edges finish very nicely.   David & Rhonda are wonderful people. They have great customer service and products.8)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:47:50 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »
It seems to have a light yellowish-greenish cast to it

That's curious.  Sounds like you're looking at poplar.  Alder tends toward the brown colors and is substituted for cherry.

Poplar is usually creamy white with colors up to green, yellow green, green purple, purple.

Karl

Unknotted

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »
OK, I'll check out the birch plywood.  I don't need to be disadvantaged right off the bat just because of poor wood choices.

Karl, you are probably right...I was probably got poplar and alder mixed up.  I'll get it all straight someday :)

Terry Jackson

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »
Alder is excellent, even grain, cuts well, and sands and finishes well.  I find it better than poplar for any kind of cutting, and poplar is very good.

Pine has a mind of its own and tells you where the cut is going.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 06:52:05 pm »
Hey Brenda, All good advice given so far, but let me add this. As a scroll saw instructor I start my students off using 3/4" pine. It is inexpensive and easy to cut. For starting off it is what I recommend. After you get the hang of cutting, then go with the hardwoods. Poplar and Alder are both excellent woods to cut. I also use Oak a lot. But for now, as a beginner, stay away from the Mesquite.
Dan In Southern California

Unknotted

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »
......... But for now, as a beginner, stay away from the Mesquite.

The mesquite we picked up is freshly cut and will take forever to dry.  It is super hard, so I know it is outside my abilities right now, but maybe once it's dry I'll be ready to tackle it.  I've seen such beautiful stuff made from it.  Thanks for the advice about the other woods too.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 08:09:26 pm »
Mesquite is great for smoking meat BUT if the smoke is any indication I would definitely wear a GOOD breathing mask when cutting it!

When I fire up my big 'smoker' for an all day session my eyes burn all day from the smoke.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Unknotted

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:40 pm »
Thanks GrayBeard, I'll keep that in mind. I made a fore-end cap for my rifle out of mesquite and don't remember having trouble with the dust, but it was not too big, so if I made something bigger it sure could be a problem.  I'll remember to upgrade my dust mask before I try using it for scroll work.

zgrimsley

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:10 pm »
I was about to ask this question. Thank Yall for all the information.

SMF

Teknoromi