Author Topic: Disc Sander  (Read 2142 times)

tux_linux

Disc Sander
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »
Hey!

I'm planning of rewarding myself with a table based disc sander. I think it's a simple tool that can improve my scrolling.
I live in Europe, in Germany. So I need a European kind of machine, one for 220V.

I have read some about the Proxxon Disc Sanders. They have a small one with 125mm Disc (~5") and a big one with 250mm disc (~10").
Those are available in Germany and supposed to work well (and quite!). Sounds like what I'm searching for.

Which one to take? Is 5" enough or should I go for the bigger one?
Price is not to high on the big one, but sure it's nice to safe some bucks when the big one is not needed.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Disc Sander
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:32:30 pm »
Torsten,  I have an old stationary combo belt & disc sander which has a 9" dis and a 6X48" belt.  I use the belt many many times more often than the disk, but the disk is very effective when needed.  If you have the room I would go for the 10".  I guess it depends on what you intend to do with it.  The larger size might be more useful due to the fact that you don't get near as much sanding done near the center of the disk as you do when you move away from the center.  Doubling the size of the area you will use most has a lot of value.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »
at home I also have a belt & disc combo machine. I like it a lot, but like bill I use the belt more then the disc. I do have a big 12" disc at school, it scares me most of the time (it has what seems like crazy power and seems to have a knuckle magnet built in) For most of the stuff I scroll I think the smaller one would be enough.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 07:54:46 pm »
I also have the combo with a 4" belt and 6" disk.

6" disk running at that speed can take off a lot of wood and skin!
I can't imagine what a 10 or 12 inch disk would do...WOW!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »
At school the 12" has really coarse sandpaper, like 40 grit. It goes through wood like a hot knife through butter.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:37:00 pm »
I think this is one time it might be better to go small.  I have a small belt sander/5" disc combo.  I put 120 grit sandpaper on the belt and 220 grit on the disc.  I think the 10" would be way too much for most scrollsaw pieces.  And as mrsn said, the knuckle magnet is brutal.  :)

Barry

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:43:15 pm »
I've had my share of "Scroller Manicures" with my 6" disk!

No Way do I want to challenge one any larger.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:23:29 am »
Hey Torsten if you are going for a disc sander get one that has low revs. I use a 10" on my lathe and run it at around 600rmp's this stops the burning on the wood and also you sanding discs last a lot longer
Jimbo

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:06:36 am »
I have a 10" disk that fits on my table saw.  It turns at table saw speed (3500 rpm?) but haven't had any real problems with skin or nail removal.  With some woods, I have to be very careful - it tends to burn oak but pine sands nicely. 

I was going to attempt a home made disk sander on the end of a motor shaft but jimbo's comment about low speed being better has me thinking about attempting a belt drive to get lower speed but it has to be compact as there isn't much room in the shop.

My drill press is used as a sander and there I find higher speed works better.  The drums are sometimes slightly off-center so high rpms stop the piece from vibrating.  Does anyone else have this problem and if you solved it, how did you do it?

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:17:40 pm »
Jim.. I have an oscillating drum sander attachment for my drill press and use it a lot.  You might want to try tightening all 3 of the spots on the chuck.  I don't really understand why, but it often affects the centering of whatever is in the chuck.  If that doesn't help I would suggest putting in a drill bit and see if it runs smooth or also erratic.  If a bit is erratic I would consider trying a different chuck.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Mainewoods

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:34:46 pm »
Go for the bigger one Torsten!!  You'll be happier in the long run because you'll be able to use for more!

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »
BilltheDiver,

Good point about tightening the 3 sides of the chuck.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks,

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »
I have the combo too.  Mine is the ten inch, and I love it.  There would be know way I would go with a smaller one. Just my thought.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

tux_linux

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 06:56:09 am »
Thanks for the great feedback!

OK, I guess I'll go for the big version.

I saw some simple band/disc sanders here in the home stores.
Those are already looking like they are loud. Absolute no go as I'm woodworking mostly in the evening when the kids are already sleeping.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:36:58 am »
I think in this case larger is better. I have a 10" and very glad I chose the larger one.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi