Author Topic: Scrollers Beware!  (Read 2086 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Scrollers Beware!
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:21:36 pm »
It is HOT in many areas and I am in one of them. As I was working in the shop today, drinking Gatorade constantly and taking frequent inside 'cooling' breaks I was doing fine.

However, about 3:45 I realized that I had stopped sweating and was getting a slight headache!

I immediately shut things down and came inside and got in the shower! Drank cool, not cold, Gatorade and lots of water.

Feeling fine but very tired now.

The symptoms I was experiencing were the first stages of Heat Stroke. I have dealt with it in the past with others and never really experienced it myself.

Please, guys and gals, Be Careful out in this prolonged heat.

From past First Aid experience I estimate I was about 30 minutes from passing out. AND I didn't really feel that bad. It will sneak up on you!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

Re: Scrollers Beware!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »
Good thing your ok GB I was once there and it isnt a good thing to have and trust me that heat will kill ya if not tended to go lay down and relax STAY OUT OF THE SHOP ON HOT DAYS like these Hence the reason I miss my shop to dang hot in there I went in a checked today 120* in there that will learn me not to build an all Metal shop again so Please everyone yes you as well GB take care of yourselves put up a themoter in your shop to watch the heat and if at all put AC unit in or open a vent (some I know are in the basements) and let the cool air help you out and by all means DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS (no beer does not count)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »
Sorry to hear that buddy! I know you know better, so I won't preach.
Still don't have the high heat here, but I'm sure it will come.
Dan In Southern California

Chachi

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »
Is getting the big fan out to blow all this high temps weather to Dan enjoy Dan.....lol

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:07 pm »
I'm glad you are ok, thanks for the reminder!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:36 pm »
We don't get hot enough down here to get heat stroke
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »
I have had enough First Aid training to recognize the symptoms and not everyone can say that. Hot, sweaty, throwing up is one thing but Hot dry skin is a definite signal that something needs to be down NOW.
Have also been in situations to help others with that very problem.
Feeling fine now, just a bit tired and drained....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chief

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:41 pm »
GB you still might want to go see a doctor.  I am very familiar with heat exhaustion/stroke.  I work in temps that reach into the 120's and even higher in boiler rooms.  If you quit sweating it is really bad, and I cant emphasize the bad part enough.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:36:15 am »
My roomate told the neighbor who is an ER nurse and she brought her handy dandy kit over and checked me out this evening...Everything normal and functioning properly...all systems apparently functioning if you know what I mean!
Intake and output are up to standards.
Had a good dinner and just helped myself to a Banana/Hot Fudge Sundae!
Still drinking lots of G-ade...I use the powdered stuff and make two gallons at a time.

Thanks for all the concern and I hope this is a definite warning that even if you take precautions it CAN sneak up on you!

Be Safe Out There!

~~~GB~~~

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:52:03 am »
Still drinking lots of G-ade

*tststs* don't drink that sugar water. That's not really helping, your body has to work more to get that processed.
It's better to stay with water and add some juice (real 100%juice, not the 50% stuff). If you want to add some extra you can add a bit of dextrose*, that helps the body to access the water.

* Dextrose is natural sugar, which is easier to process for the body.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:08:44 am »
No one mentioned SALT If you are sweating a lot you will be loosing lots of it, and once that is out of balance the troubles begin. Gatoraid is supposed to have electrolites, but thinking it is enough can be misleading.
Taking salt plain old table salt is fine I have taken a shaker and put a pile in my palm and licked it up followed by a good drink of water, any excess will be passed in your urine. In hot work areas they quite often have salt tablets. Managed to avoid heat stroke in Arizona after living most of my life there and I didn't work in air conditioned places.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:11:34 am »
Chachi, think about insulating that metal building, it will help with heating it in the winter as well as reducing the high temps in the summer.
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tux_linux

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 04:47:50 am »
Quote from: Gabby
put a pile in my palm and licked it up followed by a good drink of water

You know you're supposed to take a shot of Tequila with this? :D

SheGold

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 06:59:21 am »
GB I know how you are feeling. It does sneak up on you. Ask me how I know.. Gatorade is good but plain water with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar is better. I know you have heard of the medics treating the soldiers that had disentary with this method. The salt replenishes the loss and the sugar helps the body to absorb it.. Stay cool drink loads of water you might consider one of those neck bands with the water beads in them..  ;) Now don't make me have to have this discussion again.. Hugs.. Sheila in Tx

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 10:18:05 am »
Be careful GB! That is not the fun way to get "overheated".  ;D
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi