Author Topic: new project idea: Light Picture  (Read 2894 times)

tux_linux

new project idea: Light Picture
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »
Hey my friends! *

I have a new idea for something really cool  ;D

But first things first - the story:

My wife had her birthday last week and I went out for dinner with her. We went to this really nice vegetarian(!) restaurant called Vegetaria. The dinner was more than perfect - I didn't expect a vegetarian menu to be that delicious!!

So, this restaurant is one of the stylish ones (click on "fotogalerie"), with rare decoration, no pictures on the wall and so on. But they had a light spot with their logo pointing to the floor. That was a really beautiful but discreet thing.

Now - can we make such a spotlight with a pattern in front to get a picture on a wall/floor ?

As I was in town anyway, I bought a LED-bulb today. One I hope does not heat up. so I should be able to mount something in front of that spot.

What do you think  ??? is it possible?

regards
Torsten
;D always wanted to use this one - indian programmers start their foolish questions this way ;D

Mainewoods

Re: new project idea: Light Picture
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »
Tux - I'm sure it can be done, it's just a matter of figuring out how.  i.e. distance between light source and pattern, distance between pattern and wall/floor, amount of light necessary to carry the silhouette to the wall/floor with enough clarity to recognise what it is.  Probably a lot of trial and error, but as exemplified at the restaurant, it CAN be done.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:21:04 am »
Hi torsten,

What  a great Idea.
did some searching on google.
what you want I think it's called GOBO

To use LED instead of traditional light will be better together with wood. because LED doesn't get so hot.

at a German website I found a gobo-top:
http://www.grafiklicht.de/en/sortiment/gobotop/gobotop.php?level_01=sortiment&level_02=gobotop&level_03=false

maybe this is what your looking for.

whit a bit of creativity you should be able to make one.

some of them Gobo's are great saw patterns to. just found me a new way to search  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:25:09 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:18:40 am »
ah - thanks! That's cool. I just knew the lights the restaurant uses are from Erco.

Hmm, time for another prototype I think...

regards
Torsten

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:24:04 am »
oooh...show us, show us!!!!

Chachi

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:34:24 am »
Yes Yes we want to see the prototype.
   You gave mean idea for craft shows and such (outside craftshows) for inside of my tent..

frankm

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:15:31 pm »
Hey my friends! *

I have a new idea for something really cool  ;D

But first things first - the story:

My wife had her birthday last week and I went out for dinner with her. We went to this really nice vegetarian(!) restaurant called Vegetaria. The dinner was more than perfect - I didn't expect a vegetarian menu to be that delicious!!

So, this restaurant is one of the stylish ones (click on "fotogalerie"), with rare decoration, no pictures on the wall and so on. But they had a light spot with their logo pointing to the floor. That was a really beautiful but discreet thing.

Now - can we make such a spotlight with a pattern in front to get a picture on a wall/floor ?

As I was in town anyway, I bought a LED-bulb today. One I hope does not heat up. so I should be able to mount something in front of that spot.

What do you think  ??? is it possible?

regards
Torsten
;D always wanted to use this one - indian programmers start their foolish questions this way ;D

frankm

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »
Hi Torsten, I make lighted Coasters using "Puck" led lights I googled Led lights and found them. They use 3 aaa batteries which last for a long time. Some stores carry puck led's under "as seen on TV" These lights sell for Three lites for about 10 bucks. I cut a round disc 1 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter and cut a 3 inch hole in the center where I place the puck. (you push the lens down to turn it on/off.) I have cut a colored clear plastic lens and put it so the lits shines thru it. If anybody tries this I recommend that you turn it on and place a glass or mug or blown glass on it. The effect is unusual. For example I put a green lens under a glass of beer and get green beer for St Patricks day

Offline Marcellarius

• View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:29 am »
maybe you could make it with a rotating disk
Marcel

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:11:30 am »
oh, Marcel . I don't know if my wife likes our living room turning into some disco dance floor....

@ frank
please post some photo, this is not what I wanted to to build - but it seems to be a pretty cool idea!

regards
Torsten

Mainewoods

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:46:22 am »
Don't forget this!  ;D

I know, I'm not being helpful, but I just can't resist! :D

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 08:38:21 am »
*lol* there we are again, has Malc found a way by now to build a hollow globe?

regards
Torsten

Chachi

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 10:16:01 am »
This goes out to the people in the states because they will remember these.

I think what he is looking for is an idea of an over head projecter like the kind from school same idea on a smaller scale if this helps any....
 So does anyone have any ideas like that..

Offline Marcellarius

• View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 11:54:54 am »
oh, Marcel . I don't know if my wife likes our living room turning into some disco dance floor....

off course didn't mean with the colors,  ;) but imagine that you put 4 gobo's in one big disk and then let it turn slow. ::)
I know that at IKEA they have there logo on the ground and that is moving around.
a dynamic light that changes every now and then.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:56:37 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 12:06:04 pm »
A matter of 'physics'...Light 'diffuses' the further it gets from the source unless 'focused' by a lens of some type. Think 'movie/slide' projector...you can't put a light behind the film and project it at a distance without a lens.

There will have to be some kind of 'lens' or 'point' light source to hold the pattern of the projected image from the ceiling to the floor. Otherwise the light will simply pass through the 'pattern' and diffuse and render the pattern unreadable at the floor. You may see an fuzzy general outline but it will not be defined enough to be 'accurate'.

The Physics of Light 101...

No charge for this course!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi