Author Topic: Jig for applying oil  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
Re: Jig for applying oil
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 04:08:09 pm »
For small items like christmas ornaments I use an old wire shoe rack my wife was going to throw out.  Flattened the top of the wires that hold the shoes and can hang up to 24 ornaments at a time to dry.

Chachi

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »
Great save and idea as well.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »
Way to GO!!!!

Reduce, ReUse, ReCycle

Are you ALL participating in one of the following 'organizations'?

http://www.reuseitnetwork.org

http://www.freecycle.org/

I am a 'moderator of three ReUseIt groups in the St. Louis area!

~~~GB~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 05:45:11 pm »
GB,
Instead of covering my work bench with newspaper and paper towels i cover it with an inexpensive dollar store vinyl table cloth.  When I'm done 1 paper towel to wipe it down.

Btw my main work bench is an mdf board cut to fit the top of my tablesaw, turning my 10" contractors saw into a stable workbench.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 01:04:46 am »
Hi Tux I haven't read all the threads to your request but if you are using a wood oil why would you want it to drain off? I use a 50/50 mix linseed and thinners and I swamp the piece I am doing and leave it to soak in smaller stuff I oil and stack on top each other and leave over night to soak in, letting it drain off is defeating the purpose
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 02:40:58 am »
@ jimbo,
let it soak all the oil it can get is ok - but one needs to get the wood back out of the oil at some point.

@ all
I was sitting in my wood shop last evening - had a beer after my planed works. And than suddenly it hit me like lightning:

I'm a woodworker - I can build what ever the f*** I want!*

so I did a little research on my bits'n'pieces boxes. Found 2 hinges. Thought about how to build a foldable rack - and did build one. I'll post some pics tonight as it needs some improvement - I ran out of wood strips  :o

regards,
Torsten
*my apologize for those rude words - but there is no way to describe this more diffident!

Chachi

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:05 am »
Lmaoo! next time try BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!! It works as well to.

tux_linux

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »
Here we go:

open:

folded:

A simple board with 2 different stacks of strips holding the hinges. The right side is mounted 1/2" higher than the left side to get it folding on top of each other.
It doesn't fold correct momently, but I can put into the rack on top of the oil box - and that's enough. Maybe I'll change the rod on the back into a loose square piece of wood I jam between the opening sides.

By the way - I did all cuts on this with my Dozuki Japanese Pull Saw. If you haven't already been persuaded by the use of one - get it! You will love it.

regards
Torsten

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 12:48:20 am »
Tux i brush my oil on as the oil is dear in NZ and this the most economical for me to oil things.
I had 40 book marks to oil and just made 2 piles and stacked them on top of each other and this morning I checked to see if there was any stickies then put them away, no problem
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 03:14:36 am »
I don't know if brushing on the oil is really less consuming. I let the excess drain off back into the box, so there should be hardly no additional oil be lost.

And it is fast, doesn't need much attention. A point to mention when it comes to "production".

regards
Torsten

Dawie

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 02:09:30 am »
All great ideas! Marcel I will have to go to IKEA soon just to check out the rack. I actually want to go across the street from them, there is a nice woodworkshop where I might get some scrap wood, hard wood that is. As for oiling, I have no dipping try so I cover with a soft cloth use another to take of the excess and then do another couple of coats till it looks and feels ok, never thought of putting lacquer spray on to finish will try that too.
David

tux_linux

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 02:44:03 am »
Update:

Works fine! Currently i'm working with pegs. But I "loose" them from time to time, they fall into the oil and I had to notice that there is no way to get them clean/dry again.I need to get hooks for hanging my work pieces onto the line.

regards
Torsten

Chachi

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 12:28:39 am »
I bought a Load of Christmas hooks at a store that had everything on sale a box  of 100 hooks was 25 cents so check your local store for deals on them.

tux_linux

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 04:21:00 am »
yeah - great idea, I'll check if I can get some of those or similar.

regards
Torsten

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 05:49:08 am »
Try paper clips.  I hang my small stuff off of unbent paper clips to spray.

SMF

Teknoromi