Author Topic: wax and Tension  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
wax and Tension
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:05:01 am »
Ok the first couple of what will be many newbie questions.  :)

1. Wandering around the net I see some recommending that the table top that the wood rests on be waxed.  What is the consensus? and if so what wax?

2. When the saw is not being used, should the blade tension be relaxed or does it matter?

TIA
Jim

Offline busco

• View Profile
Re: wax and Tension
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:39:22 am »
Jim; I will wax my scroll saw once in awhile when the weather is good, saves on rust and cleans it up.  I also do it to my table saw and the table on my drill press.  But what works in a pinch is grab a piece of wax paper out of the kitchen(or the whole roll if your wife is not looking) rub it on your table top and it works great.  When done scrolling for even a little while I will take the blade clear out of the machine.  Delta says to take the tension off but I just remove it completely, in hopes of saving the tension system
Bill

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:34:58 am »
I use Johnson's Paste Wax and it works great.  I have never made any worry about the tension as it usually stays where it was when I quit.  Have used my Q3 since 94 and no problems.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »
I too use Johnson's Paste Wax  as it contains no silicone.  Silicone can leach into your wood and ruin a project.

I've been scrolling since the mid 80's and I always release the tension on my blade on my SS and my band saw.  Just seems to me it will reduce stress on the mechanical parts (and the wheels on the band saw) and the blades themselves.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:44:25 pm »
Johnson's Paste wax on all my tools.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 02:33:46 am »
Dryer sheets made to eliminate static in your clothes dryer work well for waxing
the table with no residue also.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 11:53:36 am »
I use a paste wax intended for wood, such as Johnson's or Minwax.  I would not use a paste wax intended for cars, because of the concerns over silicone contamination.  I only have to wax a few times a year and it only takes a couple minutes.  A can of wax will last for years.  It just makes moving the wood around on the saw so much easier.  Eventually, with use, the table's surface does get rough enough to impede the movement of the wood.  I do the same with my planer, table saw, router table and bandsaw tables. I've not tried the wax paper or dryer sheet ideas.  They sound interesting.

I try to remember to de-tension the blade when the saw is not in use.  I do the same with my bandsaw.  I just think it's good practice and certainly doesn't hurt anything.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 03:04:16 pm »
I use Johnson's paste wax on all my tools. TS, planer, especially my scroll saws. With experience, you'll find cast aluminum decks have a tendency to need a little more attention compared to cast iron. One trick I have learned to use on my cast aluminum decks, use 0000 steel wool lightly over the deck before waxing. Basically all this does is help clean the junk off, & polish the deck a little before you put wax on.
Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi