Author Topic: A Font Question  (Read 1140 times)

Becky

A Font Question
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:09:09 pm »
Seeing the recent post on a site for free fonts made me wonder this.  How does one determine what makes a good font for scrolling?

Some of them clearly would not be good but are there little things you look for or look to avoid when choosing a font for your patterns?

This strikes me as being one of those little things that goes a long way toward flattening out the learning curve.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: A Font Question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:53:36 am »
My background in the printing and editing fields makes me much more conscious of 'type'. I used to look at a type face in use and compare it mentally with other fonts i could or would have chosen. Also I tend to look at the variety of fonts used in a particular document. Most print designers will try to use very different fonts on the same page for emphasis or to attract attention. They try to never use more than two fonts on the same page.

Since I started scrolling I tend to look at fonts thinking, "What would happen if I tried to scroll that font?"

Now I look at the serifs and descenders and more so the letters with 'closed loops' and how I would adapt them to avoid 'floaters'. Where could I place a 'tie' to keep them from occurring and dropping out. And in placing that tie how would the finished font look.

Just my thoughts on what I look for....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

BigE

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 11:13:19 am »
I just stick with the simple ones that seem easy to cut and as Greybeard says will flow together good. I like the western fonts. That site is more for a publisher than a woodworker, but there's something there for everyone I think.
Elvin

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:25:09 pm »
Good question Becky. Only recently started looking into using fonts, so your q is helping me out too. Thanks for posting.
David

northie66

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 06:46:12 pm »
I pretty much just use whatever I like.  If anything about the font causes a problem, I just change it.  Little adjustments don't usually take away from the total look of the font.

BigE

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:00:05 pm »
Change is good! Who will know? You may just develop something
new. That's whats good about woodworking.
BigE

SMF

Teknoromi