Author Topic: Opinions please  (Read 2453 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Opinions please
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:30 pm »
Here are two back boards I have dyed, they are layered on to give a multi color effect, I have layed the sawn pieces on top, I am not keen on block colors and thought these may look better.
They are not finished as you may see some fluffies
Jimbo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:43:08 pm »
I like the variegated coloring for a background!
Gives the pieces some interest!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:28:18 pm »
Jimbo: Personally I like the second b/ground (dragons), don't spin my wheels the top one.,

Great cutting, I'm doing the dragon at the mo but it's now on hold cause I changed the wording and a bit broke off (bugger).

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:44 am »
i like the dragons the best also, but they are both nice

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:26:04 am »
Hi, Jimbo!  I think they look great.  the variations are really cool and look good.  Another method you may want to try is using acrylic paint and sponges.  You can either sponge on a couple of colors using a regular sponge, or you can get the mini-rollers from the dollar store (they are about 4" in diameter and some come with their own tray) and you can achieve lots of neat effects that are easy and FAST!
These are just suggestions for other ways, but yours are really great.  I love them.  Keep up the good work!

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

sp_343

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:47:17 am »
I like the idea of the multi color dye for the backboard.  My favorite is the dragons...I like how the red "pops" out.  Nice cutting on both! ;D ;D

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:38:20 am »
I like the multi color effect. They all look good. Thanks for posting.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Marshall

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:14 am »
I like the Multi color effect best too , for it's different > good over-all appearance .......

cherie

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 11:03:14 am »
Jimbo, I love the muliti colored effects as everyone else.  The Dragon's really pop!  I hate to be the one to say this, but the flowered one, I really cannot see the colors.  Am I blind?  Other than that, everything is great.

ripchief

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 11:12:17 am »
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm interested to see what it would look like if one color was applied across the grain, and left to dry, and then the other color was applied on top of it going with the grain, and left to dry...My thinking is that applying in two different directions might provide a more layered affect...I have seen occasions where the background color was applied with absolute/full coverage, while the top color is applied with a more "skimmed" technique, to allow the background to show through.

I do however, like what you've done in the second sample...I think the first one looks ok as well, but doesn't have the contrast that the two colors of the second one has.

Becky

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 11:42:52 pm »
The dragons look terrific but I also cannot see any color through the flowers.  You didn't put a backer board on that bad boy before laying down on the painted board did you?

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:47 am »
The large one is not a good pic, it is a lot darker that is why it may look black with the portrait over it, it may need lighten a bit, perhaps a bit more blue, I have done some large vase in this style will see if I can find them and post so you all can see the effect
Jimbo

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:58:24 pm »
Like them both. The red does look nice behind te dragons.
David

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 02:51:43 am »
I have glued up the backer boards and will post for all your critisim, I did not change the coloring on the boards, as I felt they were OK, thanls for all the positive remarks and I will post pics when the clamps come off
Jimbo

Dawie

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 06:18:23 am »
Can't wait to see.
David

SMF

Teknoromi