Author Topic: Newbie advice please  (Read 2340 times)

Becky

Re: Newbie advice please
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 12:07:58 am »
You just can't practice too much.  Every project I make is practice for a future project.  That's where the smooth turns and sharp corners come from.  I remember lots of chatter early on until I learned (though practice) the basics of controlling the wood.  Without the hold down (which I never used either) you DO have to hold it down yourself.  It'll become second nature before too long. 

If no one has told you this one, be sure and grab a can of paste wax and wax up your table.  It makes a world of difference in the ease of turning and moving the wood.

Just keep at it and you will become amazed at your your increasing skill.  So will your friends and family.   :)

kkartz1

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 05:09:35 am »
Paste wax...I like your thinking. Can you recommend anything? As I am in the UK, some of the trade names for things are totally different. It sometimes seems that people over the pond and talking a different language :-)

Becky

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 12:33:23 am »
Just get the cheapest stuff they have at the hardware or grocery store.  I use Johnson's but I don't know if they sell it in the UK.  But this is the stuff you wax floors with.  Nothing fancy.  Just check the ingredients and make sure it doesn't contain silicon which, I am told, will interfere with the finishing process on your project. 

Amazon UK carries a product called Briwax.  It looks like that would do.  Here's a link:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Briwax-400g-Wax-Polish-Clear/dp/B000TAR2Q6/ref=sr_1_4/277-2456183-8753941?ie=UTF8&qid=1382847988&sr=8-4&keywords=paste+wax

I find waxing the table about once a month keeps things moving smoothly.

kkartz1

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 05:37:04 am »
Thx Becky.
Ive been told that Liberon lubricating wax is awesome and hopefully they stock in just down the road from me. If not I will use that stuff. I picked up all sorts of great timber from a friendly saw mill yesterday so will be having a scrolling blitz this week....if work allows :-)

Malistar22

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 10:44:17 am »
Oh man, I just started scrolling too and reading that all you vets got rid of your hold down is so reassuring! I hate it! I have a Dewalt 40-560 and the hold down just gets in the way of everything. I have been loath to remove it because the air nozzle is attached to it and I didn't want to lose that too. But I think when I get home today, I'm going to remove it anyway and find a way to reattach the air nozzle. Seriously, I think I snapped a lot of blades because I couldn't get the blade out of the piece without bending it due to the hold down in my way.

And danke on the tip for using wax! Definitely going to give that a go to!

SMF

Teknoromi