Author Topic: Pine Scroll Saw Lumber  (Read 3268 times)

sp_343

Pine Scroll Saw Lumber
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »
Where would a person go to get some nice pine for scroll saw work??? ??? ???  I would like 1/4" if possible.  

I usually get it at Lowes...but they only go as low as 3/8" thick and 6" wide.

Thanks!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Pine Scroll Saw Lumber
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:56:13 pm »
I don't know where you can find 1/4" pine, but chances are if you did find it, it will be warped. Even 3/4" pine will warp if not handled properly.
I would go with 1/4" maple or poplar over pine.
Dan In Southern California

sp_343

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:10:05 pm »
I have had good luck with the maple before...and I never thought about the warping...thanks!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:33:53 pm »
My two cents worth.......
I dont feel that pine in general is very good scrolling wood but, I may be wrong. I know that it bloches real bad if you stain it even if you use shellac as a sealer first.
When things get as thin as 1/4" I think your best bet is plywood. Thinner stock of almost any wood tends to break if you have smaller areas cut into it. Popular wood is a bit better than pine and doesn't have as meny knots and hard spots as pine. It will still blotch if not coated with shellac first but, it is a hard wood and holds up somewhat better.
Now, let me qualify my statement about plywood. The stuff you get at the big box store can and will break as easily as solid wood so I would recomend spending the money for better "scrolling" ply that has more plys and usually doesn't have voids in it.
I recomend staying with 3/8" or 1/2" thick solid wood for most items. Now I will qualify that statement with...It depends on what your are cutting and how large it is.
OK so I got 3-1/2 cents in this reply...Sorry.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Dan

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:07:30 am »
I have found that Pine shatters once it is cut and dropped. Not a good thing after your hard work.

Dan

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 03:52:59 am »
If you can find a source for good eastern white pine, you will have better luck.  It is not carried at the box stores.  It will probably be 3/4" as I haven't seen it thinner.  I plane or resaw it as needed and have had good luck.  It is more fragile than a hard wood but is nice to work with.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:28:54 am »
I have tried some of the so called "hobby" wood from places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels and it was a mess.
Finally bit the bullet and ordered some good ply materials from Ocooch and have never looked back.
Pretty much gave up on using Poplar any thinner than 1/2". Too hard to control the finish and the color wanders all over the spectrum.
Have fallen in love with the good thin Maple!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

sp_343

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:36:10 am »
I going to be building a clock from www.finescrollsaw.com and need the 1/4" wood for it. 

I think Maple is going to be the choice wood...with a dark contrast color for the base pieces. 

Thanks everyone!

SMF

Teknoromi