Author Topic: You Don't Need A Scroll Saw  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Chase

• View Profile
    • ScrollArt by Chase
You Don't Need A Scroll Saw
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:22:21 pm »
I submit this post as evidence you don't need a scroll saw to do wood work.  Just a sharp blade (Xacto knife).

I posted this to another forum I frequent a few months ago.  It is something I did that is not in my album.

Back about a thousand years ago (actually 1987 or 88) during what I call my Xacto Period I did this inlay for the bannister in our home. The main veneer is Cherry and the inlays were purchased from Constatines. I purchased one inlay of each type to see how they did it, then made my own patterns with several modifications. I remember dipping the edges of the veneer in sand I had heated in a frying pan to get the shading I wanted. I also used dyed black veneer from the same source.

The bannister was about 9 feet long and they (Constatines) used to sell (maybe still do) what they called Monarch length veneers. That is how I got it in one piece.

The project was made cutting the inlays with my trusty Xacto knife and a veneer saw, then, with the Xacto knife, inlaying them into the sheet of Cherry veneer. The sheet was glued to a piece of 1 x 6 or 8 and the Cherry veneer edges applied.

As I remember the really big job was getting it on the banister using contact cement. Had some help from WHN (my pet name for wife--WHN = What's Her Name) in handling such a big piece. I also remember using a lot of paper veneer tape.

Whadayathnk?

Chase

PS Since I see some C'mas decorations, it was probable finished in December as an C'mas present for WHN.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Chase--Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks/ScrollArt-by-Chase.html

cherie

Re: You Don't Need A Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »
You did an awesome job Chase.  Love the banister.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 01:50:08 pm »
Beautiful work!

I would NEVER have the steady hands NOR the patience!

If you move the bannister goes with you ???
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Rick

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »
Real nice work Chase.  It doesn't surprise me because I am still in awe of the Lighted Christmas arches you showed us last year, particularly the one that you customized from the Patrick Spielman 12 Days of Christmas.  I really like the inlays, I apply them to boxes and small tables and it usually puts them over the top.

sp_343

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »
That is awesome!!  I would loose a finger if I tried that :o

northie66

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:56:15 pm »
That is SO AWESOME!  I love little touches like that in a house.   I have a raised rancher and it has railings and banisters all over the place.  I like yours because under your railing it is like a wall.  Mine is railings.  I hate them... dust collectors.

shissta

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:29:50 pm »
Very nice work.  I'm thinking I better stick with a scroll saw.

Dawie

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 08:24:27 am »
Chase that's a very nice piece of work.
David

SMF

Teknoromi