Author Topic: Flying Dutchman Blades  (Read 4045 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Flying Dutchman Blades
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:40:04 pm »
I have been using Olsen blades for fifteen or so years and they have worked fine for me. Recently I have been having trouble with the smaller size blades, 0/2R and 2R.
After tightening the lower blade clamp several times the bottom of the blade would bend like a hockey stick. This would make it difficult to insert the blade into a small hole.
I decided to try some Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades. I ordered some UR1, UR3, and UR5s. They arived yesterday and I tried them out this afternoon.
I tried a UR1 on  project that I have been cutting. 3 layers of 1/8" oak plywood. The blade cut very cleanly without any tear out on the bottom. The blade stayed sharp, about 4 times longer than the Olsen's. But most importantly for me, the bottom of the blade did not bend after about a dozen holes cut.
The blades cost about nine dollars more a gross, but they will last a lot longer then the Olsen's so I think they will be more economical.
I just my be a convert!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:41:54 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Dan

Re: Flying Dutchman Blades
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 08:51:49 pm »
I do not work for Mike, however you get what you pay for. I must admit I have found his blades very cost effective.

Dan

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:55:03 pm »
Flying Dutchman Blades are the best on the planet. Once you try them, your hooked. LOL  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline cyclistjim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:56:39 pm »
Not to mention speed. When you buy from Mike it won't be a week. Generally it will be two days and you have them. He ships wicked fast. If I order Monday morning I will have them on Wednesday in my hands! ;D

sp_343

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:01:42 pm »
I always used Olson blades....then I tried Flying Dutchmen and I LOVE THEM!!  Last a long time, don't bend or break...cuts through anything...

Olson is still a good blade and I like using them...but Flying Dutchmen are hard to beat.

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:13:07 pm »
When I first started scrolling, I used Olsons also, and it seemed like I was changing blades constantly, then I heard about the flying dutchmans and gave them a try. I now use only flying dutchmans. The smallest blade I use is a #3 so I can't relate to the bending. The Flying Dutchmans definitely stay sharper longer. As far as the price difference I feel I was using twice as many of the Olson blades. I am very satisfied with Flying Dutchman Blades, and Mike is a great guy to do business with.

supershingler

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »
i use the flying dutchman blades exclusively and couldnt be happier.

i have to admit i have a little in with mike because when i need blades i just stop by his house and pick them up in person(he lives 20 miles from 2 of my kids so its worth the trip).  just getting to sit and visit with mike and talk to him is worth the trip to me.  he is a wealth of knowledge and really fun to talk to.  you would not believe how may  blade he has in stock.  it would blow most people minds, i know it blew mine.

keep up the great work mike, i really enjoy stoping and talking and ofcourse buying a few supplies as long as im there.

kendall

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:05:09 pm »
I call your attention to the following from Mike's website...

Quality is when the customer comes back, not the product.

I ordered a gross of mixed blades from Mike this morning about 9:30...by 10:00 I had an email from Mike telling me they would go out in the afternoon mail!

So If you order early in the day your blades most likely will leave Brandon, SD the same day. Where else do you get that kind of service?

And the blades themselves are First Rate!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 10:09:55 pm »
What's mikes site address again?  I usually but my fd blades from the Wooden Teddy Bear.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 10:13:00 pm »
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm

Tell Mike we all sent ya!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 04:57:04 am »
I have always found Mike to be one of the nicest people around.  I haven't seen him for a few years, because I don't get to the shows much anymore, but he is always friendly and helpful and knowledgeable. Besides that, his products are great. All I have ever heard from others is that the service is more than you could ask for. You can't go wrong using his blades. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 11:02:43 am »
I found Mike's site and Flying Dutchman blades thru this site very early in my scroll sawing experience. His product and service are the best, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone. He is efficient and very helpful.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:17:08 am »
Mike is an example of what "immigrants' have done for this country!

Glad you are here Mr. Mike!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

cherie

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:18:18 am »
I started using FD URV myself.  I am very happy and have took photo's to compare the FD and another brand.  I found myself purchasing a gross of #3's to suit my needs to cut ornaments.

boxmaker

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 04:02:50 pm »
I just placed an order on Tuesday and I received it in the mail today Thursday. Now that is quick, and I live in the middle of no where. Thanks Mike.

SMF

Teknoromi