Author Topic: stacked ring basket  (Read 4192 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
stacked ring basket
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:42:49 pm »
making my first of these baskets, cut it out of pine and used a #7, not a very good idea but hey it's my first, so what is the best glue?  book says to use an instant glue all i currently have is elmer's wood and some super glue (no dumb questions right??)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

sp_343

Re: stacked ring basket
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 06:04:22 pm »
To start, I have never built one of those.

But, I would guess that any type of 'insta' glue would be fine.  I have used Elmer's Pro-Bond wood working glue and Gorilla Glue on many woodworking & scroll saw projects and have had good results with both.  I don't know if super-glue is a good option....your Elmer's Wood is probably the best choice of the two you have.

Just my two cents...not saying it's an expert opinion...

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »
i also have some gorilla glue guess that's an option as well, thanks

dankc908

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:24:00 pm »
i also have some gorilla glue guess that's an option as well, thanks

Nah - that'll foam up and make your product look less that completely desirable!

Dan

jowshu98

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:45:09 pm »
I've made several of these and have used and really like the Gorilla Glue super glue, I would not use regular Gorilla glue. From what you have I'd stick to the Elmers as well.

Don

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »
The Elmers Wood Glue should work fine.  As you stack the rings up make sure they are centered.  The first couple I made were not and as you looked at them from different angles you could see they were uneven.  Good luck.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »
thanks all - what would be the best glue so i can know what to get for the next one?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 08:49:19 pm »
For most of my work I use Elmers Wood Glue. Has worked well for me. Be careful anytime using Gorilla Glue. It will expand and make a mess.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:54:36 pm »
I am glad you brought that up, Russ!  I was going to chime in sooner or later, as I have been watching this thread.  I haven't used Gorilla Glue for years because it likes to 'grow' into the creature that took over the wood shop.  Yes, it holds, but on something delicate like the baskets -YIKES!!!  I would definitely use the Elmer's Wood glue or something else.  Something that dries clear because it is almost inevitable that some will show.

Let us see the pictures when you are done, OK?

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:17:37 pm »
I use Titebond II or III for my bowls and vases. I have made several out of various woods and had good luck. I just glue two or three rings at a time but, I find that I need some "open time" to align the rings for both taper of the bowl and grain matching so I don't use instant glue. Yes, it takes time for the glue to set but, not all that much.
I have used an old iron for weight in the past to "clamp" the ring together while the glue sets. Now I use a "bowl clamp" that I made  from some plans that I found in Carole Rothmans book "Wooden Bowls From the Scroll Saw" published by Fox Chapel. The book came recomended by Steve Good and costs around $20.00.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

boxmaker

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:29:41 pm »
Do not use gorilla glue, you will spend more time scraping the foam out of the little cracks than it took you to cut it out. I use Titebond wood glue or Elmers wood glue. I have made a few of these and Sheila is right use a white wood glue that will dry clear, you will more than likely get some squeeze out, but I will explain below how to help minimize the squeeze out. Elmers white wood glue will dry clear, while Titebond yellow wood glue, as its name says will dry a yellow. The way I use these wood glues is I put little dots on the surface around what I want to glue then I tap my finger gently on top of the dots to spread the glue out a little. This helps minimize the squeeze out. Now clamp it up and let it dry. Depending on how many layers your basket has let dry for a couple of hours, then take clamps off and repeat for your next layer, when all your layers are done keep it clamped up overnight. I hope this helps.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 09:56:54 pm »
GORILLA  makes a Wood Glue that does not 'turn into the creature that ate my shop'!

I have not used it but have heard very good things about it.

Have not attempted bowls yet but with small pieces that need to be glued I use the Locktite Super Glue GEL. It stays on the surface better, is easier to control as far as the amount applied and has just enough 'open time' to make fitting the pieces easy.

My general use glue is TiteBond II.
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

jowshu98

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:37:19 pm »
The gorilla glue I use is their super glue version. It is not an expanding foam glue and it dries clear and is sandable. A little bit goes along way and it sets up fast. Here's a link to more info on this and their other glues; and no I do not work for these guys  ;D
http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/superglue/index.aspx
Don

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 03:24:53 am »
But jointing pva glue, [polyalaphatic] or cyanoacralate? [super glue] for gap fill bonding gorilla glue [poleurathane] expanding glue, easy really
Jimbo

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 11:06:35 am »
I too use the Titebond glue and like it a lot. I'm sure there are may others that work as well but we get comfortable with something that has worked well for us.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

SMF

Teknoromi