Author Topic: Let's Have a good old fashion debate !  (Read 3466 times)

CaptSpiffy

Let's Have a good old fashion debate !
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:15:36 am »
    I am going to purchase a new scroll saw. My choices are an:

Excalibur 21 OR a Dewalt DW 788.

Which one do you have and if you don't have either, which one
would you buy if you had the chance?
     This is just a fun post, just wondering....... give your PROS & CONS
for each.

Thanks!

Mike

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Let's Have a good old fashion debate !
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:29:45 am »
Ok - I'll bite -

My choice is the Excalibur -
Pros - excellent customer service from Ray at Seyco
       - tilting head for bevel cutting (all my self-framing projects and candle trays involve this)
       - less front to back movement of blade, allowing more intricate cutting
       - overall less vibration and a better quality saw

Cons - Cost a little more than the DW788

Now - I also own a DW788, however, mine is the older, more reliable "Type 1" saw (which weighs 13 lbs more than the Type 2 saws - because they were made better)

Pros - (Based on my Type 1 - may not apply to the Type 2's available today)
       - like the tear drop shaped table - large cutting surface
       - slight front to back motion allows for 'faster' cutting - great when doing production cutting
       - a nice, reliable saw for me for over 13 years (and I still use it for simpler, production type cutting)
       - Cheaper than the Excalibur

Cons - Customer service on the new DW788's is spotty
        - Many of my customers who purchased this saw have reported many problems and little help from DeWalt
       - Overall quality is not what it used to be with DeWalt. The company has changed hands several times in recent years and now that the saw is being made overseas, it has had numerous problems that haven't been addressed properly. I have heard personally from many people who's saws failed in the first year or two (sometimes in the first weeks) and they had to go through a great deal of trouble  resolving the problems.  My advice is if you are going to purchase one of these saws, be sure that you do so from a reliable source where you can depend on them to back the purchase.

Bottom line - you do get what you pay for.  DeWalt can be a nice saw, but it is somewhat of a crap shoot depending on where you purchase it.  (As with any product)  I never once regretted getting the Excalibur and I truly think that it is worth the extra cost. Yes - there are sometimes problems with it here and there, but especially if you purchase it from someone reliable, like Ray at Seyco (I did and I live in Nova Scotia) he will always be there to help you and make things right.

Just my thoughts! :D

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:31 am »
mike, mike, mike....  8)
I can't help you on comment, I have a Hegner so my question is:

why not a Hegner?  ::)

but to help you there has been thread on that subject:

http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=522.0

I did google a little:
http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/general-scroll-saw/37331.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUC7wutR3A4

hope this helps you a little.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:40:13 am »
I have an EX-21. I like the heavy steel table and the tilting head (rather than tilting table). Plenty of power and the motor seems to be high quality.

The finish on the machine is good, but I've heard a lot of people talk about the finish on the table being spotty. I've got marks on my gold table where the factory finish wore off since delivery in February.

The tension lever seems to work well, but does not give a cut-to-cut tension adjustment. I'm still trying to figure that out.

The blade change is easy.

I have not been able to get used to top feed so I'm still bottom feeding the blade. The dust port interferes with the top feed.

I'm not thrilled with the dust removal ports (a special option). They seem to clog when bigger cut-out pieces fall into them. It is a 2.5" vacuum port, so a smaller vacuum (1.25" hose) needs an adapter. As far as I can tell, nobody sells an adapter in that direction (1.25 male hose to 2.50 female fitting) so I had to make my own. The addition of the dust removal port causes an interference that limits head angle in one direction.

The upper arm latching mechanism looks to me like it might be a future problem. The adjustment needs to be very precise and without being able to see what it's doing, it is easy to get it too tight and cause a mechanical rub in the arm. If you buy one, pull that adjustment piece out and understand how it works before trying to adjust it.

You need to add a light, maybe a magnifier light. I have an LED goose neck clip-on that I mounted on the bracket for the work hold-down (which I removed). It works great.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 02:20:55 pm »
I also have a Hegner, in fact two of them.  I also ask "Why not a Hegner?" Do a search in any of the scroll saw forums for problems with DeWalts, Excalibers, and Hegners.  Should be enlightening
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »
EX-21, love mine. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

CaptSpiffy

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 05:04:00 pm »
 :)   Great , great comments !  I will definitely do some more research before
I make my final purchase!
      I will also look at the Hegner.
What wonderful info, thanks !

Mike

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 06:34:30 pm »
Have an ex 16&hawk I lean towards the hawk but here again it costs more as the ex 16 runs slower than the 21 sometimes that is a problem had adewalt type 1 they are all good saws service and parts in your area could be a deciding factor

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:22:49 pm »
Another to consider is the Delta 40-690 - a clone of the DW788, with a different paint job.  The Delta 40-695 an updated version of the 690.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 10:08:46 pm »
I have the EX21 and am very satisfied. I took into consideration the service after purchase and Ray @ Seyco is the best. I read article after article on saws and also noticed you do not see many Excaliburs listed on Craigslist for sale, which tells me they are "keepers"

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 10:08:06 am »
Brother bought a 18" Hegner 20 years ago.  Passed it to me 7 years ago. 

I HAVE NEVER, EVER HAD A LICK OF A PROBLEM FROM USING IT.  PURRRRRS
LIKE A KITTEN.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 04:17:41 pm »
"I'm not thrilled with the dust removal ports (a special option). They seem to clog when bigger cut-out pieces fall into them."

Ray, I had this problem, I made a U shaped plate from 6mm ply and forred it between the extractor port and the table to give a 6mm bigger opening for dust and debris to enter, this seemes to have solved that problem.  I have not had your problem of the dust port getting in the way of top feeding as I always top feed.  The dust port does get in the way slightly when pivoting the top arm fully to the left, however if I need to tilt it that far, I just tilt it in the other direction then cut in the opposite direction too - problem solved.
All in all I think the Excalibur EX21 is excellent value for money and I have yet to hear one bad report about the excellent back up service recieved from Ray @ Seyco.

Keefie.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:26 pm »
I have had two different models of the RBI Hawk scroll saw and if I found myself in the market for a new saw, I would search CL until I found another RBI (and they aren't that hard to find).
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

old wormy

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:28 am »
Does anyone know where the Delta 40-690 is made?

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:00 pm »
hands down EX-21. I just bought one and love it. I have 2 dewalts at my school, and a 14" hegnar at home. I am working on a review of my thoughts on the ex-21, but shelia pretty much covered it.

SMF

Teknoromi