Author Topic: Dust  (Read 2036 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Dust
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:33:33 am »
The the new saw I have bought does not have a dust extracter port and I found dust was every where down my trousers all over the floor and the work shop so I have made an extraction box that has a vac plugged into it, the base id screwed to the stand nad the sides and front are removable, they are held by a hole I have drilled and an nail inserted on the left hand side, if you are haveinfg a dust problem try it it cost nothing to make only a small amount of time, here are couple of pics
Jimbo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Dust
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:53 am »
Good job Jimbo, is the vac an ordinary one or a shop vac.
What about the noise factor, I use a shop vac and the noise is quite off putting, but have plans to install the vac outside the shop inside an old fridge, to keep the noise down. Well when I find an old fridge that is.

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:56:28 am »
Good idea, necessity is the mother of all inventions. Try using an old clothes dryer motor and fan. Vent it to the outside. Very low noise.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

dankc908

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:59:54 am »
I wear an apron and then shop-vac when I'm done cutting or when the dust completely covers the pen blanks I have sitting under the front of "Old Yeller".

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:11 pm »
That's neat! Good use for some MDF scrap I have!

I note the sunglasses by the saw! You must have REALLY polished that table!!!

I am looking to pick up a Whole house Vacuum unit some day from FreeCycle or ReUseIt and mount that in the closet in the garage to get rid of the shop vac noise!
Patience and ingenuity!!!

~~~GrayBeard!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

sp_343

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »
Very good idea...I could use that on my DeWalt.  Thanks for the pics!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:56:15 pm »
I use a domestic vac I had given to me, ther is a plastic pipe on the side that I put the vac hose in, the noise factor is not bad, I have tried a small heat exchange fan with a 4" hose with filrter, that wasnt  to bad, the vac is a lot better.
The glasses you see Graybeard are a stronger reading glasses I use for finer work, not sunnies
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:03:51 pm »
Sorry...I thought they were mirrored like those of the  local 'redneck' law enforcement types in the south!

I know whereof you speak! I have medium glasses and 'close-up' glasses in every location around the place! Plus the close-ups I wear around my neck.
If I could reach across the street I could scroll just fine but up close I am in trouble!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 11:14:00 pm »
Believe it not it was a sunny day when I took the photos and it must have been the reflection, BUT we are back to 7c today
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 07:29:13 am »
Better that than the 98? F we had yesterday! [humidity was way up too!]
You can always put more clothes on but there is only so much you can take off and still go out in public or work safely!

SMF

Teknoromi