Author Topic: Jig for Cutting a Perfect Circle?  (Read 11051 times)

Becky

Re: Jig for Cutting a Perfect Circle?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 07:09:05 pm »
That's them all right.  I remember them from the old Dutch Pantry restaurants that used to be scattered around here and there.  My brothers and I all thought they were cool (some 40 years or so ago).  I still think so and thought they might make nice gifts.  Just something a little different.

Steve, I might be able to cut a halfway decent circle but I don't trust myself.  It seems like I am just getting it right and then the changing grain direction makes me turn too fast or too slow and I get a blip - which I ususally over-correct for and then blip the other way.  Sometimes it is hard to get it back on track once it goes awry.  I've done a lot of sawing since my last attempt at a circle so maybe it'll be a little better.   But I think I will build a sanding jig anyway!  :)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »
Hey Becky, I agree with Steve. You should be able to cut these free hand on your scroll saw. It will take practice, but I know you will be able to do it.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 07:25:22 pm »
Becky, The thing to remember is if you stray off of the line make a gradual return to the line. If you make an abrupt correction it will show. If you make a gradual return, it wont show up as much.
Dan In Southern California

Becky

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
I know that in my head, dgman, but sometimes I don't seem to know it in my hands.  I'm at the point where I can do most things pretty well *some* of the time but have trouble with doing them right consistently. 

I know I just need more -and more- practice but I want to make one of these (right now, lol).  That's why I wondered if there was an easy way to assure the roundness of my circle.  I'll cut it freehand and I'll try to make a good job of it but having a sanding jig ready is still probably a good idea.  If nothing else, it'll help me relax when I'm making the cut.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 11:00:45 pm »
Becky if you cut a fraction outside the line you can sand it free hand to the line on a disc sander, I find this is the eariest way, try it
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi