Author Topic: Wax on Wax off  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
Wax on Wax off
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:24:43 am »
I'm about to have a new DW788 arrive and I have seen some comments elsewhere about Waxing my table top?

Should I, and if so, what do you recommend?  

Thanks... And Yeah I'm so excited you would think I'm 8 years old (again) and today was December 23!  ::)

Walter
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Wax on Wax off
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:33:49 am »
HOOOOORAY for you!

My suggestion would be to use some 600 wet/dry sanding sheet, scrub the table down with mineral spirits and and sand out some of the heavier 'ridges', clean the whole thing when finished with alcohol.
Then get some Johnson's Past wax, apply a light coat of the wax, let dry and buff the table using a piece of old tee shirt under your ROS as a buffer!
Works great for me.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »
cant get Johnson's Past wax up this way but minwax as a paste wax that i use and it works great for me.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »
I like the Johnson's paste wax on all my wood working tools >\:)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Becky

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:30 pm »
Absolutely do it!  It is simple and really makes a huge difference.  Any plain old  inexpensive paste wax is fine.  Just avoid waxes containing silicon.  I've not had the experience but have seen posts saying the silicon will mess up the finish on your project.

SMF

Teknoromi