Author Topic: Dollar puzzle  (Read 5582 times)

Scroll Down

Re: Dollar puzzle
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 12:33:57 am »
With all due respect:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing
U.S. Department of the Treasury

http://moneyfactory.gov/faqlibrary.html

These folks.take care of notes, not coins and there are no exceptions on their site.

Spoke with several other bankers and an Attorney about this Today and it is very clearly against US.Code Title 18 Section 333 to cut a note, which makes it unfit for reissue, but won't have the helicopters buzzing the house.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:43:05 am »
Does anyone remember the machines at carnivals and arcades that squished pennies or dimes flat and long?  (I saw one just a few weeks ago at a fair).  They have been around all my life and I've never seen an agent shutting the carnival down over it.  Plus the manufacturer of the machine would probably have stopped making them years ago if they were getting fined by the government for it.  Just saying...

UHMNL

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 01:07:39 pm »
I remember as a kid that we put coins on the rail road tracks, to have the
train flatten the coins. Mostly pennies. ;D
FD Mike

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 01:31:11 pm »
I think it's like Steve said "fraudulently" is the case.
These laws exist in large part to prevent counterfeiters and swindlers from altering money for nefarious purposes

note: 95 percent of fresh notes simply replace those already in circulation.
Common $1 bills last about 21 months (and much longer if they are a puzzle... ::D)

question is  what does the Bureau of Engraving and Printing says What Mutilated Currency is:

Notes which are:

NOT CLEARLY more than one-half of the original note and/or,
in such condition that the value is questionable and special examination is required to determine its value.

Currency can become mutilated in any number of ways. The most common causes are: fire, water, chemicals, explosives; animal, insect or rodent damage; and petrification or deterioration by burying. Under regulations issued by the Department of the Treasury, mutilated United States currency may be exchanged at face value if:

More than 50% of a note identifiable as United States currency is present; or,
50% or less of a note identifiable as United States currency is present, and the method of mutilation and supporting evidence demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Treasury that the missing portions have been totally destroyed.

What is Not Mutilated Currency?
Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn, worn, out currency note that is CLEARLY MORE than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value. These notes should be exchanged through your local bank

cutting one for just a jigsaw puzzle...... think it's not in the description of "mutilated" currency.
I would take the risk ;)

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Scroll Down

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 02:46:44 pm »
That description is for notes that should be sent to treasury for examination before reissue or simply taken to a bank.

Coins and notes are handled very differently.

I saw someone ask for a bankers opinion to clear it up and since one was making my dinner I asked Her. Since there was some misunderstanding I asked several others the next day when I took Her to work, and spoke to my Niece, the Attorney, about it later that day when She called.

Agree or not, the answer you asked for is there in black and white. By the letter of the law cutting a note is illegal. Treasury is far too busy to run down someone making a puzzle from a bill or squishing pennies at the fair.

Making one for a gift or personal enjoyment also varies greatly from producing many for resale.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:58:01 pm by Scroll Down »

SMF

Teknoromi