Author Topic: Bench belt sander  (Read 6824 times)

Offline TigerPawTreasures

• View Profile
Bench belt sander
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:38:52 pm »
Hi everyone.
I have been thinking about getting a bench belt sander, but do not know much about them, so I am looking for suggestions on features and what size to look at. I am thinking about trying my hand at Intarsia so I would definitely want it to work well for that type of sanding. Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

Bill P

Re: Bench belt sander
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:53:14 pm »
Howdy, Tiger,

I have a little Delta 1" belt sander w/ a 6" disc.  This works great for me because the narrow belt can get into small areas.

I also have Ryobi 6" belt w/ an 8" disc, which I use for some of the larger projects.

Both of these are great for me, but I wouldn't know what to recomend to you.

Are there budgetary concerns, or any size constraints?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »
I would like to stay under 200.00 and I have a very small work area so smaller is better.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »
I have a 4" belt and 8" disc combo. I like it a lot. Do you have any other sanders, like a spindle sander?
I probabaly use my spindle sander more then the others.

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:09:50 pm »
I use this unit from Harbor Freight, and my dremel tool, plus my dewalt palm sander.
GO PACK GO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:10 pm »
No I do not have a spindle sander. I do have a dremel and a hand orbital sander.

Offline xuryl

• Hello from Ridgefield, Washington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:55:28 am »
I have the 4" belt w/6" disk, a 1x 30 belt sander, and a spindle sander. I use the 4" belt sander and spindle sander the most. If I had to choose just one it would be the 4" belt sander.
Wayne

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:07 am »
I have the one from HF and it is the most disappointing tool in my shop.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 08:06:08 am »
Other than my hand sanders, I use my 6" most.  I found when I switched from a 4 to 6" that the sanding belts lasted longer so it was more economical.

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:32:58 am »
I have  the Home Depot Rigid combination bench top belt and oscilating sander.  It is in your price range and you get two tools for the price of one.  Like most I use the oscillationg sander the most.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »
My bench belt sander is the most used tool in my shop.  I use it to sand the edges of 11" x 8" x 2" cedar boxes I make with images inlayed into the lids.  I also do intarsia.  I had a Royobi 4"x24" belt sander and it worked well for me for many years.  I now have a Harbor freight 6" x 48" belt sander and like it better still. This saw is priced at about $200.  I do not use  the disk sander part of these saws at all.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »
Harbor Freight has a belt/disc sander for about $70. It is inexpensive and looks like it would work well enough. I am going to be getting one in September (my birthday). The 4" by 36" is the one I am wanting. But there is a smaller one that looks good too. http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/sanders.html

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »
Ive been using the HF 4X36 for about a year now, and it works great.  I'd buy another in a heart beat if I had the need.  I also have their oscillating spindle sander and am quite happy with that as well. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:01 am »
Another vote for the HF 4 x 36 belt sander.
 I took the disk off and put it in a drawer and bought some really good 4 x 36 belts from Peachtree and that is my 'go to' for most heavy duty sanding. I also have a 3 x 21 belt sander, 5" ROS, 1/4 sheet Makita orbital, and a MegaMouse that I found at a yard sale for $3.00.
The next time I have a cash windfall I plan to get the Rigid Combo!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:48 am »
I have a Mastercraft 4X36 belt and 8 in disk sander combo. I use it all the time but I still depend on the rubber drum sander that I use with my drill press. There are various sizes ranging from 1/2 in to 2 in. Works great at rounding off corners. Works the same as a spindle sander, just doesn't go up and down. Like a good many things around here.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

SMF

Teknoromi