Author Topic: Betsy Bobsy cars  (Read 2718 times)

kardar2

Betsy Bobsy cars
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:54:13 pm »
hello all,
is it just me or are you all having trouble with the axle holes? I have blown out a couple of holes a I am going to move the holes up away from the edge.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Betsy Bobsy cars
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 02:03:50 pm »
Hey Karl, I'm not familiar with those cars but here are some general tips on drilling. Make sure you use a backup board under your workpiece. Use a sharp drill bit, and use the proper speed on you drill press. These three things will improve your drilling and help with blowout. For a wood drill bit speed chart go here and print it out: http://images.meredith.com/wood/pdf/drill-press-speed-chart.pdf
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:47:42 am »
I agree with dgman but, I must add.....If you drill the axle holes before cutting the shape you can have more material for strength and stop some of the blowouts.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

tundraguy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:03:57 pm »
I just made my first two of them :D....looked like the hole's were very close but when i did cut them out it worked out just fine....staying on the outside of the line...
Jim..

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:32 am »
I moved mine up a little as well.  I was afraid if little ones put to much downward pressure they would blow out.  I tried pressing down and broke one of them.  I always drill my axle holes prior to cutting out the shape as suggested this does help.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi